fescue seed

Help Support CattleToday:

dyates

Reaction score
Is anyone here combining fescue seed around Springfield, MO? The company I work for sent me out to help with a new endeavor to buy some fescue seed. Looks like the weather has really put a damper on things.

Wish I had known that! I just took the brush hog to the tops of the fescue to drop the seeds and lower pink eye. But, I bet any seed you find around here will be loaded with endophyte... hot hot hot

dyates":19z7l2lr said:
Is anyone here combining fescue seed around Springfield, MO? The company I work for sent me out to help with a new endeavor to buy some fescue seed. Looks like the weather has really put a damper on things.
When the weather co-operates we're having some stuff combined. He also does his own plus a couple of hundred acres for himslef. We're near Lebanon if that helps. I have no idea where he markets his seed.

I hate when people side track a thread. Sorry. How many pounds of seed will a good acre of fescue make? When I was a kid, Daddy used to combine some every year. I was so small, I just didn't pay attention. I've gathered a few since then the hard way, and lost more than I caught ofcourse

Bigfoot":mg05qens said:
I hate when people side track a thread. Sorry. How many pounds of seed will a good acre of fescue make? When I was a kid, Daddy used to combine some every year. I was so small, I just didn't pay attention. I've gathered a few since then the hard way, and lost more than I caught ofcourse
I think 150-300 pounds is common, although I'm sure there are many instances of much higher yields.

You'd think more people would try to harvest them. It's been 35-40 years since I saw a combine gathering fescue seed.

dun":2jjqxah0 said:
When the weather co-operates we're having some stuff combined. He also does his own plus a couple of hundred acres for himslef. We're near Lebanon if that helps. I have no idea where he markets his seed.

That's not too far; we're actually staying in Bolivar. I'll try to PM a phone number to you. I haven't been on the forum for a long time and the email address I had before is no longer valid. I might need to fix that.

Bigfoot":298jzs23 said:
You'd think more people would try to harvest them. It's been 35-40 years since I saw a combine gathering fescue seed.
I hate to say it, but I think people around home have been spoiled over the years by tobacco farming. Much of the knowledge, equipment, and infrastructure for other things is gone.

That's very true. Used to not have to scrounge to make a dollar, when dark tobacco was king.

Bigfoot":1wrv9ocg said:
When you figure the cost of equipment/fuel and the labor involved it's hard to make much money combining fescue. Last year the few people that tried it stopped before doing much. There weren;t a lot of seed heads and most of the seed heads didn;t have anything in them.

What you say is even more true at home. There are very few pure fields of fescue. Those that do exist are on steep ground that only a crack addict would drive a combine on. Anything "flat" enough to thresh is planted in succotash. There must be something restrictive about the soil here. There isn't any beans or corn for miles and the ground is as flat as the floor.

Also, there gleaners and old masseys everywhere. At home, you couldn't run fast enough to give someone either of the two. The newer combines just won't do a good job on grass without spending a fortune on add ons.

South of Monett, there are a few big fescue seed companies that have big warehouses they fill with seed every year. One is just south of Monett, one is between Purdy and Wheaton, they do alot of fescue seed harvest and then bale the stubble and feed out steers. I think one of the names is Schallert seed company between Purdy and Wheaton, he buys alot of calves in the fall to eat the stubble. Around here, in a good year, 400-500 lbs seed on fertilized ground is common. However, it is hard to get anyone to combine it at the right time, so most of it is not harvested. Very seldom will you make money on fescue seed around here.

Kenny Davis quit buying seed about 3 or 4 years ago. He told me the buyers got to where they would not accept seed unless it was almost pure fescue so he quit. My combines have been setting for about 10 years now. Anyone interested in a Massey 300 or a 510? :)

Feascue seed should be high next year. With all the rain we've had the seeds have been pretty well beaten off the plants. Originally the guy was going to combine our place and neighbors after he did his place. Came by today and checked the amount of seed and said it isn;t worth it. Ends up he isn;t going to combine any fescue this year.

Latest posts