Fescue Bush Hogging Question

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
When is the best time to bush hog fescue? I understand some believe in cutting and some do not . We have worked hard to get our pastures where they are now . Mostly fescue and some clover . My goal is for it to get fuller ( thicker) . Should it be cut late spring (now) , summer , early fall . Most years our pastures can carry cattle through winter with little hay . I want the seed head to help make pasture thicker

All responses appreciated

I cut ours usually in fall thinking it would drop seed before i cut. I dont have any scientific studies to back that up though thats just how i do it.

BobbyLummus":2n20ozn1 said:
When is the best time to bush hog fescue? I understand some believe in cutting and some do not . We have worked hard to get our pastures where they are now . Mostly fescue and some clover . My goal is for it to get fuller ( thicker) . Should it be cut late spring (now) , summer , early fall . Most years our pastures can carry cattle through winter with little hay . I want the seed head to help make pasture thicker

All responses appreciated
Seed head is not going to make your pasture thicker, in comparison to, the more you mow your pasture, the thicker it gets. Best thing to do is section it off in pieces if you have enough pasture to work with. Mow every two weeks at 4-5 inches. At first it comes back stemmy, but week by week, it will get thicker. And clover will fill in a lot of the thin spots. Keep working on sections as you go. Then eventually you can turn the mowing over to the cows. Pasture, lawns, grasses, etc. are all about competition and spacing.

Keep in mind, seed head will plant itself no matter what time of year you mow it trust me.

Seed head is not going to make your pasture thicker, in comparison to, the more you mow your pasture, the thicker it gets. Best thing to do is section it off in pieces if you have enough pasture to work with. Mow every two weeks at 4-5 inches. At first it comes back stemmy, but week by week, it will get thicker. And clover will fill in a lot of the thin spots. Keep working on sections as you go. Then eventually you can turn the mowing over to the cows. Pasture, lawns, grasses, etc. are all about competition and spacing.

Keep in mind, seed head will plant itself no matter what time of year you mow it trust me.[/quote]
I agree, and I bush hogged 10 acres last night. The toxic part of the fescue concentrates in the seedhead so I want it gone. for that reason also.

If you plan on having the seed germinate to thicken the stand, you have to wait until the seeds are ripe before cutting. When the seed starts falling on it;s own you can brushhog it so you just clip off the upper 2 inches or so of leave. That will helpt to stockpile the grass for winter grazing and still spread the seed. You might also want to run your loader bucket about a foot above the ground tipped back just a bit from level. The seed that collects and that from the top of the burchhog make good seed for spreading in areas that need to be seeded.

I think you only need to let it pollinate before you clip if you want fertile seed. I don't think the seed has to be brown first....its going to turn brown or cure out on the ground. That's just my opinion and what I do.

tnwalkingred":2l8cdrsp said:
Dun,

What time of year does the seed head normally ripen? I'm debating when to start mowing my pastures.

Kyle
Usually in june, sometimes middle sometimes late.