Fertilizing pecan trees

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
I've got a couple of pecan trees that the wife wants to fertilize. Do they need anything special or can I just triple 13 and be done with it?

M-5":2p4tk725 said:
Old folks used to bury a a few cans of red devil lye under the drip line of the trees . I just always get a few hundred # of what ever I'm putting on fields and spread it under the trees.

My grandpa puts cans of fertilizer under the ground along the drip line also. Not sure what exactly is in them. He also waters them a bunch. Can't remember how much but maybe 300 gallons a day. And he does squirrel, bluejay, and crow control. (He uses birdshot for this). He is pretty serious about his but he generally makes a good crop. He has about 5 in his yard so it's a manageable number and it keeps him busy I guess.

Productive pecans are heavy N feeders. I usually use triple-13 or just ammonium nitrate...kinda depends on what I've got on hand when I get around to doing it.
Lots of info from universities on proper fertilization regimens, soil/leaf testing, etc.
Here's one: https://www.uaex.edu/publications/PDF/FSA-6131.pdf.
Zinc may or may not be needed, depending on your location and cultural practices.
Split applications in Mar, Apr, May, June is what I usually shoot for... (but it doesn't always happen)
My dad used to tell me that you could sprinkle a can of Red Devil lye out around the drip line of a big old senescent pecan tree, and it would stimulate it to come back into production.

5-10 years is about in line for most grafted pecans to begin bearing decent crops...seedlings quite a bit longer. The kids and I planted about 400 2-yr-old pecan seedlings in a CRP riparian bufferstrip back in 2000. Granted, they've received no care other than 2X/yr mowing, but most are approaching 20 ft tall, and maybe 1/4 of them are beginning to flower... a couple produced a few nuts in 2014 & 2015...but the critters got 'em before I did.

TT, there are plenty of pecans around; you just have to look. We're in the northern/midwestern pecan belt. Several of the really good pecan cultivars for this area - some of which have been used extensively by USDA/ARS in their pecan breeding program - originated in the Green River delta, up around Owensboro/Henderson KY. Here's a short article on one of the best: http://northernpecans.blogspot.com/2011 ... hters.html

I had something happen to our pecans this year that i've never seen before. The pecans are always the last to leaf out. But, they still had no leaves in May. Under the tree there would be tons of new leaves cut off. I could never find anything on the tree, no bugs, nothing. I finally googled it and found that June Bugs do this. Not sure why, but those idiot bugs keept my pecans from getting leaves until June. And of course, no pecans either since they were cut off after they started to grow...ugh Beautiful green and full now.. no nuts though

Latest posts