Fertilizing hay ground?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
If we know, and I can't find my #'s right now, what amount of nutrients are removed from taking off the hay, why do we need to soil test? If we want X amount of tons per acre, then apply Y amount of fert.Yes, No, I don't know. Just curious. TIA

What kind of hay? I have a chart that gives the N P K removal for various grasses.

dun

kickinbull":2vy44c3v said:
If we know, and I can't find my #'s right now, what amount of nutrients are removed from taking off the hay, why do we need to soil test? If we want X amount of tons per acre, then apply Y amount of fert.Yes, No, I don't know. Just curious. TIA

It is generally accepted in my area that each ton of hay removed from a pasture depletes the Potash amounts by 50 units and Phosphates by 10-20 units.

Do a soil sample to get exact needs for the type grass you have.

Nitrate as needed for growth.

Note* Protein content of hay is directly proportional to the amount of nitrogen available to the grass.

Also, Nitrogen applications generally tend to raise PH levels.

MikeC Note* Protein content of hay is directly proportional to the amount of nitrogen available to the grass. Also said:
Mike I always thought that protein was directly proportinal to nitrogin also. But as per Dr. Ball and Dr. Rankin's talk I went to back in the early fall, The protein is much more related to the stage of grouth when cut.

There is both a direct line from protein to nitrogen and the stage of growth will effect protein level. Crude protein divided by 6.25 will tell you the amount of nitrogen in the forage. Stage of growth effects the protein level because grass stops taking up N when it begins to elongate. At this point the volume of grass will increase but beings as no more N is being taken up into the plant the total protein stays the same thus dropping the percent of protein as the volume of grass increases.

Latest posts