Fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
We have always fertilized with chicken manure and this year the man we have bought from is no longer in the business. How much is a buggy of Fertilizer going for now and about how many acres will a buggy cover? I was thinking about fertilizing the pastures this weekend and just wanted a rough idea of what its going to cost. Thanks ahead of time for your opinions. :tiphat:

Your replies are going to be determined by what your soil sample call for. If your just wanting to sling something out call your coop as ask them for a basic recipe for your area. You will likely have too much of one and not enough of another.

You are north of me so your soil sample may be different....all my fields show very high P...I had 45-0-60 spread for $41.57 an acre.

Don't know about he buggy coverage...if you haven't sampled your coop probably could answer your concern and may have supplied some of your neighbors...still I would sample soon...good luck!

I'm at the border of Marshall and Lincoln county and I have a ton of phosphate and low in Potash. Mostly have a lot of clay.

Thanks guys, Im going to get some samples sent in. Hopefully it wont take too long to get the results, hate to spend money on something I don't need!

Depends on how wide you open the hole in the back how many acres it will cover. Best let the coop set it up for you. I like to double spread myself.

Some of you guys are lucky when it comes to fertilizing. On my best hayfield, with a 6.4PH, fertilized yearly according to University of Georgia soil test recommendations, this years recommendation is a 400/80/330. Basically around $400/Ac for the year. With a 12 bale yield, I will have $34 per bale in fertilizer alone. BUT, it's high quality.

pappy6":1so8mnid said:
You are north of me so your soil sample may be different....all my fields show very high P...I had 45-0-60 spread for $41.57 an acre.

Don't know about he buggy coverage...if you haven't sampled your coop probably could answer your concern and may have supplied some of your neighbors...still I would sample soon...good luck!

Wow, the price difference on that mix here is about $6 less an acre.

I always put out two loads of litter here but this year there is some sort of quarantine and no litter can be spread in this area. May have to look into commercial fertilizer for the first time ever.

commercial fertiliser is not the same as litter, so the effect is not the same.

Look for compost from another source would be better,

but if you have to use commercial fertiliser follow the soil test. Not sure on your area and timing, but clover is a great source of Nitrogen, and you may still have time to spread this.

Latest posts