fertilizer? reseeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

Horse Guy

Reaction score
As you will soon find out from reading my post I know nothing about farming/haying. Just bought some hay land and could use advice.
On my one field its currently alfalfa with some crested wheat. Hasnt been seeded for ten years now. The alfalfa/crested wheat is growing good so far but in places of the field there are weeds.
Two other fields are alfalfa with some brome mixed in and this is the 7th year since it has been seeded.Looks good, no weeds and it growing.
Neither field has been fertilized in the last 3 years.
Wondering what I should do? Just priced fertlizer today and my head still hurts. This year we have good moisture for a hay crop. Dont have the money for fertilizer. Wondering about if there was something different I could re seed to that wouldnt require me spending money I dont have for fertilizer.Do some crops require less fertilizer?
Or maybe I dont have to reseed? I know alfalfa should be reseeded every 6 years.
Have another pasture with sapposedly a mixture of timothy, rye grass, rangemaster carlton smooth brome grass, sleek meadow broke grass, creeping red fescue, intermediate wheat grass, slender wheat grass and milk vetch. I see there are a heck of a lot of dandylions in it.
In my area (southern Alberta)big round bales will probable be selling for 100 ton. Cant see them selling higher than that because no cow man could afford to buy them.

What is your primary use for the forage? Grazing, or haying, and if so, what is your target market? Cattle, goats, horses, sheep. Those will determine what you should do with the pasture.

Alfalfa and other legums have nitrogen fixing nodules so they don't have as large nitrogen requirements as other grasses do.

I just bought the place. Have no target market really. Example hay market because we have no gear or farm know how and can make use of the hay. A rancher friend who like me is no farmer but he bought a bailer so he is going to bail the hay on a crop share with me. I ll use my hay for my horses and he will use his hay for his cows.
We really dont have farm equipement!
Like the two 6 YO alfalfa stands look really good this spring. The one pasture of mix grass looks pretty good to however the one 40 acre 10YO alfalfa stand is looking pretty weak. Its all coming but its not growing near as well as the other fields. Im thinking if I leave it a lone I will get a crop but it sure wont be no 2 tons an acre. Im thinking since the stand is so old that it wont pay to fertilize it either.
I read in canadian cattleman magazine that alfalfa puts/leaves nitrogen in the soil. So I was thinking that if I had it reseeded to something else like say greenfeed that maybe it would do okay with out me buying fertilizer?
This weekend I was going to talk to some farmers over there in the area and see if I could work out some kind of a crop share deal with them on that 40 acres. Example they reseed it for a % of crop. I really dont care what type of crop. Just dont want it to grow up in weeds. I dont have money to put into it myself. Would be great if I could make a buck off of it this year or atleast not lose money on it.
What are your thoughts on a crop share deal? What are your thoughts on a crop to reseed to? Its good farm land that can be easily cultavated.

Latest posts