Fertilizer prices dropping?

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
Are fertilizer prices in your area dropping yet? In my area they haven't, and the dealer said the earliest they would decrease would be January 2009, but most likely in the early spring of 2009. My ryegrass needs fertilizer, I wish I had access to some poultry litter.

I checked yesterday. N is down, P and K are steady. There is an increase scheduled for P and K on 12/1 but my supplier does not think they will take it.

I also checked on 6' tee posts yesterday. They were $4.75 to $5.69

There is lots of high priced input inventory out there and no business wants to write it down and take a hit (like farmers who have not contracted there sales).

gertman":1vcwl2xw said:
Are fertilizer prices in your area dropping yet? In my area they haven't, and the dealer said the earliest they would decrease would be January 2009, but most likely in the early spring of 2009. My ryegrass needs fertilizer, I wish I had access to some poultry litter.

Poultry litter would do you little good this time of year as it takes heat to break it down and make the N available or course you would get a bang in the spring.

N has dropped $300 per ton here. P and K are steady and was told yesterday they may go down after the first of the year but to expect them to climb again this spring with demand increase.

Jo I did a few test with poultry litter a few yrs ago i put 1.5 tons per acre on in sept/oct and then done some other areas in the spring mar/april and I found thatby putting it on in the fall I had better quality of grass and better production . on the hayfields the first cutting of spring fert.ground was almost a 3rd less than the fall fert ground though I did see an increase in 2nd cutting on the spring ground but never made up for being deficient on the first cutting so I went to spreading all mine in the fall. tested close to 200 acres and on the larger fields split them in the middle so was a pretty fair test just my 2 cents worth

Angus Cowman":1ca7yq25 said:
Jo I did a few test with poultry litter a few yrs ago i put 1.5 tons per acre on in sept/oct and then done some other areas in the spring mar/april and I found thatby putting it on in the fall I had better quality of grass and better production . on the hayfields the first cutting of spring fert.ground was almost a 3rd less than the fall fert ground though I did see an increase in 2nd cutting on the spring ground but never made up for being deficient on the first cutting so I went to spreading all mine in the fall. tested close to 200 acres and on the larger fields split them in the middle so was a pretty fair test just my 2 cents worth
gertman":1ca7yq25 said:
My ryegrass needs fertilizer, I wish I had access to some poultry litter.

I think Jogee is saying if your ryegrass needs fertilizer now as gertman's statement could imply, the chicken litter is not the way to go. I'm sure if you spread it in the fall, by springtime the litter is ready to go to work. I would think you would get a short pop out the the manure in the litter but it will take more time for the litter itself to break down for its nutrients to be available. Just my interpretation.

1982vett":19eqbd0p said:
Angus Cowman":19eqbd0p said:
gertman":19eqbd0p said:

I think Jogee is saying if your ryegrass needs fertilizer now as gertman's statement could imply, the chicken litter is not the way to go. I'm sure if you spread it in the fall, by springtime the litter is ready to go to work. I would think you would get a short pop out the the manure in the litter but it will take more time for the litter itself to break down for its nutrients to be available. Just my interpretation.

Sorry I missed the part on the rye :oops: :oops:
I plant rye in sept.and use litter but have used it on a continual basis so I am actually just putting it on for the next yr I really like the results I get out of the litter and I like the cost also before this yr the cost wasn't much cheaper but the results were significant and Sorry about my oops Jo please don't kick me out of the breed syndication of Imbalancers

Poultry litter is going to go up and will be hard to get because of bedding to replace. They are piling in the center of the houses for two weeks letting it go through the heat and spreading back in for bedding.
Have been able to buy, but cannot get it hauled. We are putting a spreader truck together now. The bed will be delivered this next week. Have got two growers said they would supply out of the stacking sheds. Need to get it within a week or so after it is put in or it will go through the heat and burn out the N.
Our hay land will take 5 ton per year applied 2.5 every 6 months. The pasture 2.5 tons per acre applied in to applications per year. We have to keep a close check because we are close to a recreational water way.

1982vett":3mgohi8b said:
Angus Cowman":3mgohi8b said:
gertman":3mgohi8b said:

That's what I meant. It will actually tie up nutrients for a short spell until it begins to break down which normally will happen during the warmer months. Kinda a slow release thing which is good. If he was hoping for a quick N fix, chicken litter isn't the way to go in the winter months.

I buy all my litter out of Arkansas and I don't have a prob getting it the guys I get it from have contracts on alot of barns they deliver spread and all if I want them to but I have a guy who contracts spreading litter for them I just hire him directly litter has went up but still cheaper than comm Fert and the residuals are great and it will stabilize your ph also when I started using it was $21.5 pr ton delivered and spread this yr it cost me $35 del & sprd the guys that I buy it from and others I have talked to say after the soil is where it needs to be you can cut back on tons per acre or leave the tonnage up and spread 2yr and skip a yr on pasture ground and as far as losing N I tested some this yr that had sat in a pile on my farm for 16 days analysis was still 62lbs N per ton also the analysis said I was getting $10.50 worth of trace min per ton that you don't get with comm. so that is another plus

Jogeephus":zdbm3wji said:
1982vett":zdbm3wji said:
Angus Cowman":zdbm3wji said:
gertman":zdbm3wji said:

I agree with ya Jo I just missed the part about the rye grass needing it now Sorry
That's what I meant. It will actually tie up nutrients for a short spell until it begins to break down which normally will happen during the warmer months. Kinda a slow release thing which is good. If he was hoping for a quick N fix, chicken litter isn't the way to go in the winter months.

Our local COOP prices asof 11-04: DAP (18-46-0) = $1100.00,, Urea (46-0-0) = $875.00,, 0-0-60 = $825.00,, Nontax fuel $2.64 @ gal

We have crimson clover and ryegrass coming up and need to fertilize. Soil test shows we need potash and phosphorus.

Any indication of prices coming down?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I am getting the same price as i did 2 months ago. I doubt it will change until they get new shippments in the spring.
I am with you, needing to feed my rye/ryegrass/crimson. I have been waiting and will wait a couple more weeks i guess.

Latest posts