Fertilizer Costs This Spring

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Wondered if any of you had already "booked" Fertilizer earlier, or if you've priced it yet? Anhydrous Ammonia is said to be at 580.00 a ton, Ammonia Nitrate at 300.00 a ton, Potash is not expected to go up too much they say.These prices are un- believable. I expect as far as Pasture fertlizing goes, it'll be like last year, and and many will cut back on application rates. The row croppers dont have much choice on spending the bucks to make a crop.Guess it's nothing but a catch 22. I'm going with liquid fertilizers this year on some Hay fields,and Pastures as an experiment.

Crowderfarms":2fw2bovi said:
Wondered if any of you had already "booked" Fertilizer earlier, or if you've priced it yet? Anhydrous Ammonia is said to be at 580.00 a ton, Ammonia Nitrate at 300.00 a ton, Potash is not expected to go up too much they say.These prices are un- believable. I expect as far as Pasture fertlizing goes, it'll be like last year, and and many will cut back on application rates. The row croppers dont have much choice on spending the bucks to make a crop.Guess it's nothing but a catch 22. I'm going with liquid fertilizers this year on some Hay fields,and Pastures as an experiment.

I have used liquid nitrogen for the past few years. It works well if you get a rain on it soon after application. You can add herbicides and such too!

DO NOT use it during dry weather. You will be wasting your money.

My applicator has a big Terra-Gator and can cover my 140 acre hayfield in about an hour and can get in wet ground where a tractor cannot go. Works real good in early spring.

Guess it's kind of like putting down Ammonia Nitrate Mike, Dont do it unless a certified rain is coming. the Sun and the heat will disapate it, making it pretty much worthless.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1ewk2gl8 said:
I use triple 19 i havent priced it yet and probably wont until spring. Probably in april as we usually get alot of rain around here in april
About 300 a ton the other day.

Crowderfarms":1lx0fl9l said:
Guess it's kind of like putting down Ammonia Nitrate Mike, Dont do it unless a certified rain is coming. the Sun and the heat will disapate it, making it pretty much worthless.

Liquid is worse. Evaporates fast. Better in one sense though. It doesn't contain all that chlorine. Good luck!

MikeC":13hec9nj said:
Crowderfarms":13hec9nj said:

Liquid is worse. Evaporates fast. Better in one sense though. It doesn't contain all that chlorine. Good luck!
Mike, have you priced it this year. Just wondered?

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":10sgicth said:
That is usually what I pay for it. Im hoping that it will be about that much in april.
Is this usually what you have been paying for 19-19-19. If so how many years have you been buying it.

Crowderfarms":3ksidtqk said:
MikeC":3ksidtqk said:
Crowderfarms":3ksidtqk said:

Mike, have you priced it this year. Just wondered?

I don't think my local applicator will allow "booking" of the liquid. No, I have not priced it, but it's been about 40-50 cheaper than prilled ammonium nitrate ton prices.

Last year I put the equivalent of 75 units of nitrogen per acre on 140 acres along with a broadleaf herbicide. Cost $16.50 per acre. Do the math. The herbicide worked out to $2.00 per acre.

Another problem is.....I have not seen any Ammonium nitrate that didn't contain a high amount of UREA this year. Safety deal with "Bombmaking". ???????????????????

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3sn3j97y said:
You mocking me is about to make me stark raving mad. If you dont like what i have to say dont respond to it. Im having a really bad day already and for you to come on here and start mocking me and being a smart elic well it just irks me. End of discussion.

Who are you talking too? If you are talking to me...................it is NOT the end of the discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":8d797hxl said:
You mocking me is about to make me stark raving mad. If you dont like what i have to say dont respond to it. Im having a really bad day already and for you to come on here and start mocking me and being a smart elic well it just irks me. End of discussion.
I went to Church today. I feel real good. You might give it a try sometime.It'll take your mind off those "Stupid Cows" There's bigger fish to fry ol' buddy.And remember, you are on the Internet, it's real hard to reach out and touch somebody. ;-)

Here, the place that I usually get my best fertilize deal from was 305 per ton 2 weeks ago for 2-1-2. By the end of this week, it was 320 per ton. This is about 15-20 per ton less than the other fertilize places in the area. This is the full payment now price to lock it in.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":5jga1g82 said:
I am just wondering why you have been paying this years prices over the past years, or is this your first year and did you forget what you have been paying for your fertilizer. I do know that the fertilizer that we put out this year cost much more than previous years.

But if you promise to stay outta here I won't say another word on the subject. Bye

Back to the topic:

This year (well last actually) I planted a tetraploid ryegrass, similar to prine, to see what all the fuss was about. Originally in October the plan was to use the great growth of the tetraploid for my heifers, and get a couple of hay cuttings in the spring. Then no rain.

The rains came, and next weekend I will get to put the heifers in.

All in all I planted about 18 acres. Cost ~$400, but I seeded more than the recommeded lbs/acre.

Fertilizer after I got a good stand, ammonia nitrate, was ~$400 as well, put 125 lbs/ acre.

Now I'm wonderning if I should stick to the original plan of getting some hay from it, since fertilizer prices are so high, and the rains came so late.

Angus Guy":a88l07gx said:
Mike

What herbicide did you use that cost 2.00 applied?

Salvo. The applicator charged me for the cost of the chemical only. Didn't use a surfactant. But it worked great.

Mind you this was mixed in with the liquid nitrogen.

Thanks Mike. Thought it had to be something like that. With prices up here the way they are I don't think we'll fertilize the pastures. Just spray the weeds and harrow the manure around.

Try Organic liquid fertilizer.... you can apply it yourself as low as $12.00 per acre. If you want to apply something for the leaf eating insects, use Garlic Spray. If applied correctly it becomes systemic in the plant and last a long time and the livestock love the taste....

Latest posts