fertility

Help Support CattleToday:

i dissagree with that statement.ive had beefmasters since 2007 and never had cows that was slow to breed.the only time that may have happened here is the cow was raising a big calf.i had a heifer cycle at 8 months and get bred.she calved at 17 months of age.

It is not the breed but the breeder. Buy cattle from breeders that select for fertility. A crappy calf will always bring more money than no calf.

good luck finding heifers that you can afford.i sold all of my 2014 heifer calves except for 1 for $1500ea.i priced some heavy bred reg beefmaster heifers for $2150.i turned them down only because it wouldve been 2 400mi round trips to get them.

Being half Brahman, they may be a little later maturing but that has nothing to do with overall fertility.

I have had Beefmaster cows for since 08 and just started using a Beefmaster bull. The ones I have are fertile always breed back in a good time. They don't have a problem with late maturing had one calve at 20 months and her momma calved at 18 months all the rest calved right around 24 months. Like bigbull338 said registered heifers are getting pricey.

I wish my Beefmasters matured later. I have to get heifer calves away from the bull by six months--had one breed at 6 1/2 months and another at 7 before I got wise. One needed a little help calving but calves were fairly small and both made great mothers. I didn't let either cow breed back for six months and they grew to a normal size.