Fencing on rock

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
I have a pasture that we previously had a single strand of hot wire fence around and we had problems with the cows getting out. I am now to the point I want to put a permanent fence in. The trouble is that there is rock down about 8". It is solid. Do you guys have any ideas on how to fence this in? It is about a 10 acre field.

Either run additional hot wires or a rock drill and T-posts. Most of our area is the same way. When I built the bull pen on solid rock I used a hammer drill and punched holes a foot deep, 4-5 per post, and drove 5/8 rebar into the holes then poured a concrete footing a foot square and 6 inches above grade. Lots of work but it's held up with no problems

dun":269opfx2 said:
Either run additional hot wires or a rock drill and T-posts. Most of our area is the same way. When I built the bull pen on solid rock I used a hammer drill and punched holes a foot deep, 4-5 per post, and drove 5/8 rebar into the holes then poured a concrete footing a foot square and 6 inches above grade. Lots of work but it's held up with no problems
In central Texas they use a rock drill and t post then pour a little sack creete around the post . I've hunted on places the fence went vertical for 100 feet . The fence builder repelled down the cliff to drill and set post according to the farmer .

We go the same problem of sorts ,starts with adirondack tators big rocks some the size of a small car. The rocks are many but not solid . My bottom land has limestone bedrock 2- 12 inches down. I'm clearing some of that out now for pasture let you know how I make out. I'll be watchin this post for help myself, thanks.

JSCATTLE":diez19uv said:
dun":diez19uv said:
In central Texas they use a rock drill and t post then pour a little sack creete around the post . I've hunted on places the fence went vertical for 100 feet . The fence builder repelled down the cliff to drill and set post according to the farmer .

if it's vertical- why even fence it in? I guess if you're keeping mountain goats out--- but last time I checked- cattle couldn't defy gravity...
:deadhorse:

kciD":3b4p1c6e said:
JSCATTLE":3b4p1c6e said:
dun":3b4p1c6e said:

if it's vertical- why even fence it in? I guess if you're keeping mountain goats out--- but last time I checked- cattle couldn't defy gravity...
:deadhorse:
There you go again talkin about something you know nothing about . They have Aoudad and these were high fenced game ranches .

I was thinking about using a drill to drill the rock but it just seems to time consuming. It may be my only option though.

dompeters84":3i64bcfw said:
I was thinking about using a drill to drill the rock but it just seems to time consuming. It may be my only option though.
An industrial air compressor and 40 pound rock drill on linestone takes about as long as post hole diggers in dirt .

I have a Belltec auger. It's pretty slow and expensive but I can put a fence anywhere I can get to with a tractor.

I've lots of trees to get out of the way before I can stretch any fence on my bottom . I'm sure gonna use some of timber to tack to.tryed some tposts some gripped pretty good might not go so bad for me.

Latest posts