Fencing next to Rail road?

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Anyone have any experiance or knowledge on putting up a new fence with Railroad boundary? Finally got the crank head to sign papers and pick up her check on the 5 acres we bought across the road.

The land needs new fences around it and the one next to railroad is pretty non existent.

Will the Rail road pay their part of a new fence or am I SOL?

My father in law works for the railroad maint department. I have heard him talk in the past of putting up fence along the railroad for people and I have also heard him say they have bought the supplies for others who have put it up on their own. I'm not sure if there is a set-in-stone guideline as to who pays what but I'll ask him the next time I talk to him.

cfpinz

We had about a dozen cows that got on the track and were hit by a train several years ago.

L&N (the railroad company then) furnished all new cross ties and wire to build a new fence. They also cleaned up the line and took the old fence down.

They paid us $50 bucks per head for those holstein heifers too.

MikeC":39excyn4 said:
We had about a dozen cows that got on the track and were hit by a train several years ago.

L&N (the railroad company then) furnished all new cross ties and wire to build a new fence. They also cleaned up the line and took the old fence down.

I've traveled well over a million miles on Freight trains, and I never knew of the RR paying for Cattle when we'd hit some once in a while, and I know they dont pay for wire and posts anymore. I'd say you'll have to dish the money out of your own billfold.

Crowderfarms":9k3exani said:
MikeC":9k3exani said:

I've traveled well over a million miles on Freight trains, and I never knew of the RR paying for Cattle when we'd hit some once in a while, and I know they dont pay for wire and posts anymore. I'd say you'll have to dish the money out of your own billfold.

I wouldn't think they would do that anymore either. Corporate profits, you know. :mad:

MikeC":1licxdr7 said:
Crowderfarms":1licxdr7 said:
MikeC":1licxdr7 said:

I wouldn't think they would do that anymore either. Corporate profits, you know. :mad:
Plus, the L&N was a respectable RR.

Crowderfarms":3nh9v248 said:

I know they will bury cattle after they hit them. I also know they will burn your fences when its time to beat back the brush some.

aplusmnt":w28pof68 said:
Will the Rail road pay their part of a new fence or am I SOL?

Part of our property butts up against the BNSF tracks. To the best of my knowledge, we are on our own as far as building, maintaining, or replacing fences.

Caustic Burno":2b14zakw said:
Geez Aplus its five acres go buy the material and build the fence.

That is what I will do, but I have nothing against writing out an invoice for their half and mailing it. Might only take me five minutes and a stamp.

Plus if they would pay their half on this then maybe they would pay for the 1/2 mile across the road that is pretty bad also.

I figured it would be so much red tape, much like government it would not be worth messing with though.

MikeC":ms8p4ugh said:

$50 for holstein heifers, not a whole lotta money, hope you had insurance.

GMN

If you have an abstract for the title on the property find the original agreement w the RR it will specify on the fence My rr balked on giving me a crossing until I mailed them a copy of the origiinal agreement which specified that they were to provide access under the railbed They then readily ageed to provide a crossing over the track.

Latest posts