Fenceline Weaning Pic's

Help Support CattleToday:

frank boucher

Reaction score
Separated from cows day before yesterday,grandson was here,so had him take a few pic's while I was feeding them this afternoon.First time weaning them out in a grass trap,like it good so far,ain't gonna get sloppy,muddy like in corral.I always enjoy seeing others pic's,so I'm gonna try to post these.

No,they just been on their mama's out in pasture with loose mineral,no creep.Was kinda worried if they would go to eating out of the bunks.I fed them brome-johnson grass mix hay in the bunks friday afternoon with a little feed on top,been increasing the feed since,they're eating good now.

Is a "grass trap" a fenced off section of pasture?

Would calves in corral and cows on other side be considered the fence line method?

Nice cattle by the way.

I guess it's more of a lot,about 2 acres with corral in one corner,it's a pretty good tight woven wire fence,you can bring the cows in from 3 different pastures.Yes calves in corral,then cows where they could come up and rub noses(so to speak)would be considered fenceline weaning.I 've always done it that way in the past,but it gets awfully muddy,nasty in there even if not raining.This is better cause there's some grass out there,but bigger area and more chance of them getting spooked,running through fence is what worries me.

My fence line weaning area is divided into a small 150" x 150 lot and then about 1 1/2 acre pasture. They stay in the small lot the first day to day and a half to keep them from walking so much and get them started on grain and used to the water trough. Like you say it can get nasty pretty quick. By the end of day two they are still bawling but quit walking the fence line if their mother is close. I give them about as much creep and sweet feed as they want for the first three days. After 3 or 4 days they are ready to move.

Frank, couple questions for my own curiosity what breed/breeds our in your cows? Also, what breed/breeds of bulls are these calves sired by? Pasture fescue? Thanks B&G

The cows are basically balancers,all of them raised here and 50% angus-50% gelbvieh..Bull is a homozygus black balancer,came from Judd's in Kansas.I like most everything about them,except too much hair on them.Fescue pasture,not much clover,little lespedeza some years,johnson grass in summer.Endophyte in it,cows in pond and shade when gets warm,can't seem to help that much,just try to get them bred back before hot weather.

Thanks for the response Frank. That was going to be my guess on breeds in yoour herd. They look a lot like mine in this picture. These are all reg. Balancers with a few PB's in there. Your cattle are doing good on the grass you have. You should be proud. B&G

Very good cattle there B&G,and yours look slicker haired than mine.Guess a guy should'nt complain about a little hair,but some of mine got so much around their ears you can't even read the tag #.

frank boucher":g6y1mhhy said:
Very good cattle there B&G,and yours look slicker haired than mine.Guess a guy should'nt complain about a little hair,but some of mine got so much around their ears you can't even read the tag #.
what bloodline was used on the Angus half ?

Latest posts