Fence Renovating

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":xd3benav said:
plumber_greg":xd3benav said:
One of my guys knocked a chunk out of the top of a 6" castiron watermain in a town one time. Water was shooting in a upstair window of the home across the street. One of them liability deals. gs
Don;t they mark water, sewer and gas lines or is it only power and phone?
A lot of the small towns will send some water witcher out to make a fool of himself trying to locate them, or else they'll show you a map and say," Yep, that's what I thought, the sewer and water is between the ditches on either side."
I ain't never seen a 36" watermain. That's big. gs

plumber_greg":1y25p1gf said:
dun":1y25p1gf said:
plumber_greg":1y25p1gf said:
One of my guys knocked a chunk out of the top of a 6" castiron watermain in a town one time. Water was shooting in a upstair window of the home across the street. One of them liability deals. gs
Don;t they mark water, sewer and gas lines or is it only power and phone?
A lot of the small towns will send some water witcher out to make a fool of himself trying to locate them, or else they'll show you a map and say," Yep, that's what I thought, the sewer and water is between the ditches on either side."
I ain't never seen a 36" watermain. That's big. gs
Problem is that there is frequently (usually when it will bite your butt) a big difference between as designed and as built.
Here is a little saga. We were going to run a new 200 strand fiber cable out of a building. The engineers consulted their drawings and told us the existing 200 strand fiber came from the south east corner of the building. That was perfect becuase we planned on putting it in the the south west corner. Second scoop with the backhoe and there were a couple of hundred pretty pieces of fiber sticxking out of the hole. The engineer (that wasn;t how I refered to him at the time) looked in the hole and said "That can;t be, the calbe is over there a cople of hundred feet". That was in the days when we had to hand polish each end of the fiber and manually match it and splice it. August in the Mojave desert isn;t a time to be sitting in a hole with an umbrella over your head having to splice fiber.

Floyd":1ft24lb9 said:
Don't you have a locator service there?
Sure, about everywhere has a locator service. But when you dig for a living, things happen. Most of the utilities won't come after you if it's been located, and you have an accident. Think of it as if you never cross a railroad track, you ain't never gonna' get ran over. The more you cross, the greater the chances. gs

cfpinz":uzk2d8vu said:
This stretch has needed replacing for the past 10 years or so, it's on a fairly busy highway and we were afraid to spray it because the trees/briars were the only thing holding the barbed wire up.

Before:
summer2010Sept003.jpg

During:
summer2010Sept008.jpg

summer2010Sept011.jpg

summer2010Sept107.jpg

Finished product:
summer2010Sept116.jpg

Worked on it in our spare time, I'd rather build a mile of new fence than patch 100' of old rotten barbed wire.
That is a nice fence. The wood rounds must be very affordable in your area. Here they cost $10.- $13.00 each for 6 inch X 8 ft.

kerley":lbdhwn09 said:
That is a nice fence. The wood rounds must be very affordable in your area. Here they cost $10.- $13.00 each for 6 inch X 8 ft.

Thanks. Right now the 4-5"x8' line posts are $6.40 and the 6-7's are $8.49. The place I get them from runs a sale every spring with some pretty good discounts off those prices, we bought a semi load from them during the sale this year and saved a little bit more.

Think I drove those posts a couple weeks too early, we picked up over 9" of rain here in the past week, the first rain in over a month. Drove some posts today, the ones that took 20 or 30 whacks a few weeks ago took 4 or 5 whacks today. Duh.