Fence Question

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
I am about to get my 2 calves this weekend, and after reading some of the previous posts about fencing, I am beginning to have doubts that my holding pen will be strong enough. What I have is a holding pen made out of 16ft "cattle Panels" with t-posts every 8 feet. These are not the rigid pipe panels, but are the flexible panels (From TSC). Would it hurt to run a hot wire just inside of this? Will this hurt a small calf?

Thanks for all the help now and in the past. (See absolute beginner post :) )

Tim

the problem you get into with panels is mainly when you are crowding, have a jumper, or pusher. i would think that would be fine for 2 calves. the hotwire, to me, sounds like overkill. of course, it wouldnt hurt.

I just built the same type of pen except ot has 10" diameter wood corner & gate posts. I put tee posts at about 4' centers between the corners and it feels pretty stout. I have worked with cows in all pipe pens and believe me they can mess just about anything up. Work them slow and don't overcrowd or rush them as much as you can.

tim1970":5eld6wy6 said:
I am about to get my 2 calves this weekend, and after reading some of the previous posts about fencing, I am beginning to have doubts that my holding pen will be strong enough. What I have is a holding pen made out of 16ft "cattle Panels" with t-posts every 8 feet. These are not the rigid pipe panels, but are the flexible panels (From TSC). Would it hurt to run a hot wire just inside of this? Will this hurt a small calf?

Tim

Lot depends on how old the calves are and how much they weigh... ;-)

If you're talking about the 4 guage "mesh" cattle panels to contain your calves, I'd think these panels will be more psychological than mechanical in containing the calves. If this is what you're using, would at minimum put T-post every 4 foot. No...the mesh panels won't hold a calf if they crowd, panic, or decide to go through them (or jump over them).

Be prepared for anything and good luck...

I use these cattle panels (the welded wire type) in my cattle pen. They are attached to at least 12 inch posts every 6 to 8 feet though. I have had some calves and cows try to run through it and bounce off. My pen was round mostly but now it has bulges in places but is still in one piece. My squeeze lane is all rough cut 1x6 with two rows of 2x6's in the middle. I have about six inches of space between each one up to about 5 feet. Cattle panels will not have a problem keeping calves or cows in if properly supported.

I plan to go back this winter and place two rows of rough cut 1x6 all around the inside of the pen mainly for optical use by the cows. They have much less of a tendency to try to run through them if there is something there they can see other than those small squares.

Hey Tim they are fine if thats were you intend on keeping them I use some of the same panels in my crowding pen. Some have been ran into and bent by my big cows,but they never try to deliberately run into them and escape. I wouldnt worry about what you have.They should be OK.

I wouldn't worry until they can get a nose over the top and a desire to be on the other side...then they will fold the panel down...two calves shouldn't be any trouble...I would think about running some rails (2X6) top middle and about 18" off the deck....Dave Mc

tim1970":15iftqkm said:

Tim

Just curious. Do you plan to load cattle out of this pen later on, i.e. will it have a loading or working chute? If so, you're definitly built very light in my opinion. Strong wood posts every 8' and 2X6 rails top, middle, & bottom work for me along with the panels you mentioned.

Just a side note... we are building a new fence and rented an air driven t-post driver. Not that I drove any post, but the kids drove 300 in one weekend in dry hard ground. If you have a lot of t-post to drive, you might check into renting a driver.

ffamom":327aoszk said:
Just a side note... we are building a new fence and rented an air driven t-post driver. Not that I drove any post, but the kids drove 300 in one weekend in dry hard ground. If you have a lot of t-post to drive, you might check into renting a driver.

I bouht one several years ago, not really all that pricey. Sure saved my back, shoulders and dispostion.

dun

ffamom":3tbl0hcd said:

That's a lot of steel posts!