fence post

Help Support CattleToday:

buhbuh

Reaction score
What size auger to use for crossties 12, 15, 18? I'm going to buy one and want to get the right size. Tractor size 8540 kubota. plenty of hp.

buhbuh":3u012o3i said:
What size auger to use for crossties 12, 15, 18? I'm going to buy one and want to get the right size. Tractor size 8540 kubota. plenty of hp.
i dugg some postholes 3 months ago.an we used the 12in auger to digg them.so id say 12in auger for crossties.didnt know they made an auger bigger than 12in.

buhbuh":2e0u8d4q said:
I think bush hog makes one all the way up to 24.

If you are setting a 10 inch post, 12 inch is the max you want. I'd prefer to use an 8 inch auger and widen the hole 2" when I cleaned it out. That makes for a firmer post.

Buhbuh

I would not dig the hole any larger then necessary then to get the post in. Virgin soil will always be compacted better then you can compact it back in.
As for size, IMO, a 12 in. auger should do the job, as all augers wobble a little while digging ( depending on soil type) and you will end up with a 14-16 in. hole anyways.

12 in. and clean out around the holes. We used round poles that are bigger than cross tie diameters,when we built our new Pens and it worked out just fine.

Well, it does not matter what size post we put in the ground here - they all go in with a backhoe.

Other than T-posts that is.

So as far as I am concerned - anything big enough to drop the post in works fine.

Bez>

I guess depending on the number of posts you need. Get a hylift and push them all in.

Latest posts