Fence post paint

Help Support CattleToday:

Carrie

Reaction score
We were in Kentucky last week and I noticed lots of fence looked like it was painted with a black, almost tarry looking stuff. Anyone know what it might be? We're getting ready to start a big fence project and I want it to be the last one I ever have to undertake! What do you all recommend using to make your fence posts last as long as possible? We're using hedge and some old telephone poles for the end posts and purchasing the in-betweens. My husband wants to use Y braces (cause thats how his Daddy did it) but the H brace sure looks alot less complicated. Anybody know if there are advantages in term of durability for either of these methods?

This site has been invaluable - I learn something new everytime I visit. A big thanks to all of you who take the time to help others!

Carrie

We use H braces around here. However, if your hubby wants to use the Y let him cause if something were to happen with the H you will probably hear something like, "I told you we should have used the Y."

I have seen people putting used motor oil on their fence posts to make them last.

If you are referring to a stain similar to that in this picture, you mix diesel with roofing tar. You don't want to use a tar with plastic or any fibers in it. We use what's called called Cold Lap Cement - can't recall who makes it. It runs $15.85 for 5 gallons. Just mix diesel with it and experiment on the texture you want. I think 1:3 is the mixture we use but I can't remember exactly. It goes on very easy and its a little watery but the boards just suck it up. It is also a little messy so old clothes are advisable. It will last over 5 years but begins to lose its neatness after this point and needs to be freshened up.

Hope this is helpful.

Molly.jpg

Jogeephus have you domesticed the Zebra?
Does it pull a cart or ride?

dj":n4oak7em said:
Jogeephus have you domesticed the Zebra?
Does it pull a cart or ride?

Its not mine but my neighbors and no its not domesticated. You got to watch your back when you are there cause she will bite, kick or bring other disconfomforts on you. But she is pretty as is her colt(?).

Old sump oil with powdered charcoal can be used or with the cement colouring powder any colour you want

I use Coal Tar and thin it with petrol but I only put it on the top cut face . This seals the wood fibres on top to lengthen its weather life

Think of your wood as being like a milk shake (soda) shop's straw dispenser
You remember that bunch of straws , well the wood is like holding a big bundle of them in your hand . Water goes straight down the top but wont go in the side

Timber is the same but with microscopic straws

Latest posts