Fence Charger

Help Support CattleToday:

Auburn_Ag

Reaction score
I have just recently rent 128 acres with some fencing. I am going to at least put a one strain hot wire around it to keep the cows off what little fence is there. Here is my question, I do not have a power source and I have always used regular fence chargers, do any of you have any suggestion for a good solar fence charger?

Well for the most part it has 6 stains of barbwire and Hog wire on the other, which keep them in. I just want something to keep them from pushing on it because it is old and I don't want to have to replace there fence. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gallagher has model B75 with a solar panel. You'll still need a 12 volt car battery to run it when the sun isn;t shining. Our B75 a half mile from the charger with about a mile of dividing fences run off of the main line runs about 6500 to a low of 5500 volts at the furthest points. A good ground is the key

dun

dun":2ndt60p8 said:
Gallagher has model B75 with a solar panel. You'll still need a 12 volt car battery to run it when the sun isn;t shining. Our B75 a half mile from the charger with about a mile of dividing fences run off of the main line runs about 6500 to a low of 5500 volts at the furthest points. A good ground is the key

dun

You can buy separate solar panels aside from the chargers too. I have a plain Gallagher (battery powered) and use with a separate solar panel with alligator clips to keep the battery charged.

MikeC":3bsv6m4h said:
dun":3bsv6m4h said:

dun

You can buy separate solar panels aside from the chargers too. I have a plain Gallagher (battery powered) and use with a separate solar panel with alligator clips to keep the battery charged.

I've seen them, just never used them

dun

dun":187sdivf said:
MikeC":187sdivf said:
dun":187sdivf said:

dun

I've seen them, just never used them

dun

Dun, They work great to keep any battery at peak charge too.

I keep one hooked up on my old dually that I hardly ever use just to keep the battery hot.

MikeC - What brand of solar panels are you using and where can one get them?

We had a Gallagher solar fencer about ten/fifteen years back and had nothing but trouble with the thing. Had a ground field big enough to dissipate a lightning bolt and never would put out much shock. Ruined me on their boxes. I have a couple of their 110 units and am very impressed with those. I bought a Parmak solar box a couple months back for a single hot wire on the inside of a rental place like was mentioned in the original post and I'm happy so far.

cfpinz

I have no idea what brand they are. I got two for Christmas one year from a friend.

They are about 12" X 12" X 1" with two wires coming out the back. They had a cigar lighter plug in on them but I removed that and put alligator clips on.

I'll ask my buddy where he got 'em.

I like the SpeedRite line-up. They've got a 3 joule output solar (can't recall the model right now) fencer that would work very nicely for what you have in mind...

Rod

MikeC":1khw3smq said:

I have no idea what brand they are. I got two for Christmas one year from a friend.

They are about 12" X 12" X 1" with two wires coming out the back. They had a cigar lighter plug in on them but I removed that and put alligator clips on.

I'll ask my buddy where he got 'em.

Thank You. I would appreciate that.

cfpinz

Auburn_Ag":19cxgnv1 said:
I have just recently rent 128 acres with some fencing. I am going to at least put a one strain hot wire around it to keep the cows off what little fence is there. Here is my question, I do not have a power source and I have always used regular fence chargers, do any of you have any suggestion for a good solar fence charger?

Auburn, what would you have to pay to get electricity in there?
One strand of really hot wire will keep cattle. Your chances of maintaining a really hot fence are best with an AC 110 V charger, and they are less expensive. I have a place where I pay a minimum electric bill ($9.95) to run a fence charger. Well worth the money.
If it isn't practical then I imagine solar chargers have improved since I had one. :lol:

Just remember when you go to fence that much acreage the wire you decide on is almost as critical as the charger. Use to small gauge of wire and by the end of the run you'll have lost a lot of your shock power. I would use a strand of 12ga. hi-tensile minimum anywhere I could. Going with the solar charger be sure to use the proper amount of ground rods listed in the instructions. I have a Parmak solar charger and have had good luck out of it and no problems. Had 2 but the one dead limb in the tree decided it was time to come out and thought the charger would break its fall on the way down.