FELTONS DOMINO 774 {SOD,CHB,DLF,HYF,IEF} (P23864055

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm22":oa9d6s2w said:
Success inevitably leads to jealousy and criticism (both justifiable and fantasy.......see any CAB discussion here). That a few aging old codgers still harbor some bizarre grudge about something that may or may not have occurred over 30 years ago, apparently isn't hurting semen sales any.

Brandonm, I did not start this discussion to justify 23D. I would not use 23D himself in my program and I'm certain that many people had problems with his calves. I can understand their anger.

My thoughts on 774 is different from others because I believe that he has some offspring that are unique breeding tools to improve carcass traits of Hereford cattle. I wanted to releave some peoples worries about 774 offspring causing problems with diluter calves.

Purity is important in registered cattle, and my personel opinion is that 774's breeding is far enough from 23D that it is not a acceptable reason for not using 774's offspring. How important is purity? That's a question everyone must decide for themselfs.
Seems like every breed has impurity lurking in the woodpile. Many claim Angus have Holestien and a lot of other breeds have allowed Angus to be infused to create black hides.

When its all said and done, all cattle are designed to be food, and originate from some form of composite animals.

LFF":12ukx2jc said:
Brandonm22":12ukx2jc said:
Success inevitably leads to jealousy and criticism (both justifiable and fantasy.......see any CAB discussion here). That a few aging old codgers still harbor some bizarre grudge about something that may or may not have occurred over 30 years ago, apparently isn't hurting semen sales any.

Brandonm, I did not start this discussion to justify 23D. I would not use 23D himself in my program and I'm certain that many people had problems with his calves. I can understand their anger.

My thoughts on 774 is different from others because I believe that he has some offspring that are unique breeding tools to improve carcass traits of Hereford cattle. I wanted to releave some peoples worries about 774 offspring causing problems with diluter calves.

Purity is important in registered cattle, and my personel opinion is that 774's breeding is far enough from 23D that it is not a acceptable reason for not using 774's offspring. How important is purity? That's a question everyone must decide for themselfs.
Seems like every breed has impurity lurking in the woodpile. Many claim Angus have Holestien and a lot of other breeds have allowed Angus to be infused to create black hides.

When its all said and done, all cattle are designed to be food, and originate from some form of composite animals.

I haven't used 774 or his offspring. I don't believe he is uniquely valuable to the Hereford breed in anyway. He is a polled bull, but the problem ancestor being talked about here was horned and if the old AHA had been doing their job when 23D was around, then 774 would never have been around at all. Did the AHA ever expunge a pedigree? I suppose if you never stand up to obvious pedigree inaccuracies, then you never get sued and put out of business. Instead of survival of the fittest, it is survival of the crookedest.

All the talk about titan and I have yet to see any actual proof that he's crossed. Where is it?

dun":dgce0vk0 said:
All the talk about titan and I have yet to see any actual proof that he's crossed. Where is it?

The dilutergene showing up in many offspring is proof enough for me.

dun":29xgpohf said:

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 6&9=5B5E5A
Dun,
There is not one more shred of evidence today than when Titan's descendent, TEX PRIME TIME, was being crowned champion in show after show and used throughout the horned Hereford breed. TEX PRIME TIME was a horned bull and "they" didn't know for sure that he carried both hypotrichosis (from Explosion) and the dilutor gene. It was common to hear the rumor about the ABS bull, S TITAN 7777 (also a descendent of 23D), being part Simmental in the late 80's. People were in denial and they figured they could get away with using the bloodline, especially since everyone else was doing it! They got burned and then they got religious.

Every Angus cow I bred-my best ones by the way-having a grey calf with rastus curls and a rattail was proof enough for me. It was a pretty big setback for a young guy starting out to be honest.

Northern Rancher":2mvax3xk said:
Every Angus cow I bred-my best ones by the way-having a grey calf with rastus curls and a rattail was proof enough for me. It was a pretty big setback for a young guy starting out to be honest.
no doubt,, and its always the best