The Victor Domino Line

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":3n61uklf said:
cow pollinater":3n61uklf said:
I really like a whole lot of what I see on those papers. I like to see that low to mid range mature cow weight(very happy to see it, a biggy for me on herefords). I like to see that kind of marbling. I like that they are all pretty similar so someone could really just go pick the one that looks best to them phenotype wise and by the numbers expect to have it perform very similar to the rest of the bulls so there is no bad choice.
The big hole that I see is maternal calving ease and it would be a deal breaker for me.

What papers?
Click on the links he provided.

cow pollinater":1mef1hsi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1mef1hsi said:
cow pollinater":1mef1hsi said:
I really like a whole lot of what I see on those papers. I like to see that low to mid range mature cow weight(very happy to see it, a biggy for me on herefords). I like to see that kind of marbling. I like that they are all pretty similar so someone could really just go pick the one that looks best to them phenotype wise and by the numbers expect to have it perform very similar to the rest of the bulls so there is no bad choice.
The big hole that I see is maternal calving ease and it would be a deal breaker for me.

What papers?
Click on the links he provided.

Okay.

All I can speak to is personal experience with our Domino cows and in 5 years we've never pulled a calf and only had one dead calf and that was from the sack around its head suffocating the calf post delivery.

cow pollinater":iw7cyybk said:
Interesting....Folks who study the numbers always find the MCE. There were a couple of bulls in this bloodline back in the eighties that had terrible maternal calving ease numbers. This EPD trait must not be very accurate if for over thirty years of one of the easiest calving herd of cattle cannot make a significant change in these numbers. Since working publicly for over thirty-eight years, and having a cow herd calving on their own with no extra help in calving 30-40 two year old heifers per year, I can assure you that I need problem free cattle first and foremost. Haven't had anyone to be able to explain this to me. One of the qualities of this herd is the calving ease trait.

mrvictordomino":3mq3wmnl said:
cow pollinater":3mq3wmnl said:
Interesting....Folks who study the numbers always find the MCE. There were a couple of bulls in this bloodline back in the eighties that had terrible maternal calving ease numbers. This EPD trait must not be very accurate if for over thirty years of one of the easiest calving herd of cattle cannot make a significant change in these numbers. Since working publicly for over thirty-eight years, and having a cow herd calving on their own with no extra help in calving 30-40 two year old heifers per year, I can assure you that I need problem free cattle first and foremost. Haven't had anyone to be able to explain this to me. One of the qualities of this herd is the calving ease trait.
Not to be arguementative, but you're calving registered heifers, right? My results WILL vary since I'm looking at at least 4% increase in birth weight from heterosis and sometimes as much as 15%. If I bought one of your bulls as a commercial cowman I'd be the one to spot the problem before you would.
Overall they're very good cattle but that's a sticking point for me.

cow pollinater":h7wiss00 said:
mrvictordomino":h7wiss00 said:
cow pollinater":h7wiss00 said:
Not to be arguementative, but you're calving registered heifers, right? My results WILL vary since I'm looking at at least 4% increase in birth weight from heterosis and sometimes as much as 15%. If I bought one of your bulls as a commercial cowman I'd be the one to spot the problem before you would.
I agree with what you are saying, but the actual results from bull customers (High percentage commercial on different breeds) over the last couple decades show them to be problem free in this area. I cannot explain these values and what it would take change them. No one at the association has been of any help either.

mrvictordomino":3dnot2yn said:
Heifer mates to the bulls. 10 1/2 - 12 months old.

I know it's just a personal preference, but I am fussy about head shapes, and I find many herefords just don't look appealing to my eye.. I like that 651 heifer all around, and 601 and 631 are pleasing to me as well

Danny, if you are so inclined post a link for Ike and let's look at his EPDs since he's been covering Angus cows in a commercial herd since 2013 with zero losses. The calf I mentioned that died was Angus sired.

Thanks

mrvictordomino":2vef1drj said:
cow pollinater":2vef1drj said:
mrvictordomino":2vef1drj said:
I agree with what you are saying, but the actual results from bull customers (High percentage commercial on different breeds) over the last couple decades show them to be problem free in this area. I cannot explain these values and what it would take change them. No one at the association has been of any help either.
I see what you're saying. I wasn't thinking about the line bred aspect of it. That is hard to change in that setting without adding in something different OR getting your genetics into lots of other registered herds. I tend to think of EPD's in the bigger breeds such as angus or hereford as more accurate because of the genetic base being so large but when you're only using a fraction of it it really limits you to averaging the same genetics you started with. Have you done much with DNA? I would think that might help put people at ease when they stick on MCE like I did.
FWIW, I've been messing with Limousin EPD's and am ready to through them out the window and go by actuals and DNA.