Feedyard Space

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on how much space you should provide to a calf on a dry lot to avoid having a mess of a place. I know the feed yards recommend 200-800 square foot per head however I don't want to turn my farm into a feed yard. I do want to maximize my capacity without having it turn into a mud pit. The feed areas will be either gravel or concrete so this question is posed for the "loafing" areas. I'm currently feeding calves on 6 acres so I will use this a test bed. Most I've ever had on it was 20 calves and they didn't make much of an impact. I'm thinking 1500-2000 square foot would be about the minimum but am curious if any of ya'll have more experience. Thanks!

Had 50 on 7 acre all fall. The fence line troughs are on about 6" of rock over filter fabric. No mess at all but was really dry most of the 60 days they were in there.

Thanks littletom! I plan on having the feed areas installed with rock and filter fabric as well so I'm not too concerned about those. I just wonder how it would hold up year round with those densities?