Feedlot Closeout Sheets

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Just received a feedlot closeout sheet from the feedlot.

"Certified Angus Beef" calves-NET Pay = $758.96 -Average Each
"Purebred Charolais Calves" -NET Pay = $845.55 -Average Each

(Net Pay is after all expenses, trucking, feed, meds, interest on feed, etc.)

All these calves were within 2 months of age. Not harvested the same day. Harvested when weight and/or backfat reached certain criteria.

Read 'em and weep all you CAB fans............. :lol:

hillsdown":33nfmcj5 said:
What does that work out per/pound Mike?And ages please.

They sold on the grid with a variance of $157.00 to $167.00 per cwt.

Harvested from March 2007 thru May 2007. Prolly averaged 200 days on feed.

I can tell you this, COG was not cheap. Some calves cost over a dollar per lb. gain and some were .60 cents.

Feed Efficiency sucked on all of them too.

The bottom dollar rules.............................

They went on test on 8-31-2006 weighing between 550 and 800 lbs.

Let me do some studying on this sheet. It's about 10 pages in an "XL" file.

MikeC:

A recent grid option is to select a "source and age verification premium." I have seen it on two different grids. It was $24.00/head on one grid and $25.00 onthe on the other grid. If you select this option (and the cattle qualify, you recieve the source and age but don't receive any premium for CAB, even if the cattle qualify for CAB. Was this an option on your grid?

I don,t want to change this thread but a statement you made might be the difference between a profit and a loss on any cattle.
Feed Efficiency sucked on all of them too.
Every time Net Feed Efficence tests are brought up I here that they are too expensive. Yet nobody has ever responded to what the cost is for this testing.
It seems to me that the testing expense could well be justified in the fact that the progeny of more feed efficient bulls would more than justify the expense of the tests, given the quantity of cattle bred to that one more feed efficient bull.
I hope this makes sense.

beef":36z5lfsb said:
MikeC:

A recent grid option is to select a "source and age verification premium." I have seen it on two different grids. It was $24.00/head on one grid and $25.00 onthe on the other grid. If you select this option (and the cattle qualify, you recieve the source and age but don't receive any premium for CAB, even if the cattle qualify for CAB. Was this an option on your grid?

I got the $25 Source Verification premium plus the CAB option.

Novatech:
The reason Feed Efficiency sucked was that they were there during those bad snow storms last winter that had some calves gaining absolutely NOTHING for as long as 2 months. I must say also that the Chars beat out the CAB qualifiers hands down in this category too.