Best Feedlot Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

bufordall

Reaction score
Read a study about what feedlots were looking for, a few years ago. These are ones in Texas I believe. They wanted 50% Angus, 25% contin. and 25% Bram. This cross is achieved easily with a Gelbvieh Balancer bull on a set of Brangus cows. What kind of steers do feedlots in other parts of the country look for. Everyone jump in here.

I don't think you could pinpoint any one particular breed - or combination thereof, that the feedlots would prefer.

They want muscular calves that stay healthy, grow fast, convert feed well, and meet the target of the buyer/packer.

So there is no certain criteria for animals, after years in the business they do not have and idea of what is likely to work for them as compared to what they know won't. Am not promoting any breed here. You could use several combinations to come up with the end product. This was there report after questioning severl feedlots in the southeast. The Angus had the marbling, the contin. added size and leaness and the Brah. gave it some ear to survive in the heat. Just wondering if feedyards in say the north had a different criteria, maybe no Brah. influence.

Used to be that feedlots around here jumped at the gold calves - the ones that had the Charolais influence. They still sell well but mostly to American buyers. The best sellers are the red and black angus influences - white face or not.

Around here they mostly want half British and half Continental. Simm x Angus, Char x Red Angus, Char x Hereford are the most popular around here.

bufordall":3bx8wxca said:
Read a study about what feedlots were looking for, a few years ago. These are ones in Texas I believe. They wanted 50% Angus, 25% contin. and 25% Bram. This cross is achieved easily with a Gelbvieh Balancer bull on a set of Brangus cows. What kind of steers do feedlots in other parts of the country look for. Everyone jump in here.
Texas A&M recommends no more than 25% Brahman, No more than 50% Continental, and no less than 25% British.

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/main/acad ... -comEZ.pdf

Latest posts