Feeding pregnant heifer.

Help Support CattleToday:

crazy4equines

Reaction score
Ok this is our first time having a pregnant heifer(also her 1st calf too) and was wondering what a good grain mixture would be? I didn't know if I should keep her on the feed that the feeder steers were on or if she is going to need something more. Vet confirmed that she is bred and about 2 months along, wanna make sure we do this right so the calf will hopefully be healthy when born. Thanks

Decent to good quality hay and no grain unless she's very small and/or in very poor condition. Look at some of the Bpdey Condition Score posts and figure out what her BCS is. Around a 6 is good for a heifer to calve in.

i looked up and read about the bcs and i would say she is about a 6. So most people just feed their bred heifers a good quality hay? We feed big square bales here that varies in quality, depending on which cutting is fed. Some is a very stemy 1st cut and the other has been a little more grassy and some has more alfalfa. I just want to make sure she is getting the peoper nutrients she needs for her and the developing calf.

crazy4equines":3g7gp2kt said:
i looked up and read about the bcs and i would say she is about a 6. So most people just feed their bred heifers a good quality hay? We feed big square bales here that varies in quality, depending on which cutting is fed. Some is a very stemy 1st cut and the other has been a little more grassy and some has more alfalfa. I just want to make sure she is getting the peoper nutrients she needs for her and the developing calf.
Our heifers don;t get anything during thw winter but stockpiled grass or hay and minerals and they do fine. You don;t want her getting fat, that's as bad for calving as been poor.

i've got the same deal goin on here & I'v read your post & followed your advice.I still her a coffe can full of grower for a treat once or twice aweek. keepn a baldy steer with her for the winter once she calves i'll seperate them &grain him out. don't know how to score them but they look real good . here they gotta heve hay pasture wiil be knee deep in snow by jan. come winter I don't need to give her anything else other than hay, water. , and minerals ?

Main thing to remember other than having her in good shape....

The calf will grow more in the last trimester than any other time. So, if you are pouring the feed to her then, the calf is growing more and more. I would keep her right where you have her. Good luck

My candy is in her 3rd shejust resently got agressive around the feed trough. got one22 month stear I'm gonna finish after she calfs . she'l push him around if I feed them grain their fine around the bale ring coarse theres more room. Don't want to feed her grain but I gotta get him goin twords finish. Ireally don't want to seperate them till springs really here they keep each other warm and company. :bang:

Put a hot wire down the middle of the pen they will still be able to see each other but you can feed him and not her that way .

Latest posts