Feeding orphaned calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Irene

Reaction score
We are at our wits' end. Let me explain. We currently have two calves, one is now 19 days old and was orphaned at birth. She was given to us by a friend who found her near death in his field. She, Missy, is now drinking 3 bottles of replacement milk a day: 7 am, 1 pm, 8 pm. We never had a problem with her sucking as she's great at it. She is also eating a little bit of starter grain, and drinking a little water, though not much of either.

Our other calf, Bessy, is now about 6 weeks old. She came from a feedlot where she wasn't wanted. She arrived with what I term "kennel cough". We have administered medication and electrolyte (sp?) supplements. Bessy definitely DOES NOT like the milk bottle! We have all but given up "force feeding" her the milk from the bottle. We have tried to give it to her in a pail, from which she licks once or twice. She does not want to suck. She does, however, lick our legs, the wood around her pen, our hands. We have placed a bucket with starter grain in her pen, from which she does eat. She is not eating any hay. She is also drinking water from her pail.

They both look a bit on the gaunt side. They are both currently staying in a pen in the barn because of coyotes on the loose around here. We do, however, bring them outside everyday into the sunshine for the afternoon, where they can get grass and water.

Does ANYONE out there have any ideas as to what we're doing wrong? What we could be doing? We very much want to keep these little gaffers alive. We're not new in the cattle business, but, we are when it comes to this.

Thanks for any assistance you can give us.

Irene

The problem with these two is that they most like did not receive adequate or any colostrum..

The other thing is what kind of milk are you giving them ?

Give your Bessy an oral dose of probiotics, and 5cc of Vitamin B and a shot of Bo-Se or Multimin (check the label as I don't recall the dose offhand). Vitamin B will stimulate her appetite and you should see a difference in about 12 hours. Does she still have a cough or did you manage to get rid of that?

Sounds like Missy is doing fine?

Sounds like you're not doing much wrong.

If the 6 week old calf eats calf starter and drinks water and can have a daily nibble on grass I'd give her the probiotics and Multimin milkmaid suggested and let her be. She'll have a pot belly for a while, but she'll eventually grow out of that, I most definately won't tube her to force milk into her if she eats calf starter.

The other one just keep on doing what you're doing she'll soon catch on watching the other one eat calf starter and drinking water.

Thank you all so very, very much! I will be following Milkmaid's advice tomorrow and let you know what's happening. It's good to know that we're not TOTALLY wrong with what we're doing. Bessy does still have a small cough, though not as bad as it was a week ago. We're keeping an eye on that. Any suggestions? And yes, Missy seems to be doing fine. She loves her milk! Thanks again everyone, for taking time out of your busy lives to help us.
Regards,
Irene

MM gave great advice vitamin B and probiotics are great for calves and goats who are not eating.

I want to emphasize that in this section of the world you need to give those calves BoSe. Generally one shot will do but you can give a 2nd one 2 weeks after the first. You can get BoSe from a vet-shouldn't be more than $10 each. Selenium deficiency in the NW area here is one of the major causes of calves not thriving. That could be the reason for the cough in the one calf. I have had a similar situation with one of my calves this year that didn't get the BoSe right away. He is gradually getting rid of his cough and is now 5 months old.