Feeding in winter question

Help Support CattleToday:

So they been grazing that already ?

I cant say much more, cause do not even know what type of pasture it is...but if they been on that and there is that much left...they been eating something else.....

<<they been eating something else.....>>>

Yes that does not look palatable or they would have ate it. Maybe the new stuff will be when it gets further along, but its to thin right now to do much.

If the pasture is good, and they are hungry and left to own devices, at least my cattle can eat to ground, nearly as close as sheep ! Which many cattle people said they could not do....

No need for a lawn mower, well, not outside the house block, if you have restrictions on where livestock can feed....lol.....like me :cboy: :cowboy:

Looks like fescue, looks like it has stubble from brushhogging. If its fall growth it should be pretty good. Since you have calves on cows, I'ld do the forage test, and start at 5# per adult cow every other day. Watch condition. They'll waste 50% of jt if you dont use wire. Just start at a water source and move them out.

1st of January my stockpile tested 15.7%protein, 58% TDN, 90 relative feed value.
50 cows get an area roughly 48ft by 660ft everyday, no supplementation. 3rd stage, but they are holding up.

Latest posts