Feeding for Over the Hook Competition

Help Support CattleToday:

Loch Valley Fold

Reaction score
I'm wanting to enter a young steer into next years Hoof & Hook competition, a competition that is run by our local show comitee. What I'm wanting to know what would be the best feed ratio for this steer to gain weight without ending up with too much fat coverage. The steer that I am entering is a Scottish Highland x Square Meater currently 7 almost 8 mths old & is still on his mother for another month or so. I'm currently cell/strip grazing a paddock that has mainly clover & they all get some hay for roughage at night. This paddock will last another 4-5 weeks after which they will all go onto a clover & rye paddock while still having access to the hay. I have been thinking of feeding this steer (& another) soaked barley once a day starting off at about 500g - 1kg of grain & slowly building up over several weeks.
Any thoughts or suggestions on what else I can do to increase a decent weight gain?

The last 60 days feed him some Vit E and sunflower seed oil. The Vit. E will give the meat a brighter, cherry red color and the ss oil will really whiten up the fat giving more contrast when the judges grade the loin.

How big is he now, how big will he be when he's ready and how long do you have to get there? Does rate of gain figure in? If so, I know some will call this unethical, but really put the screws to him before he goes on test and suck a bunch of weight off of him. Then start him back slow and boom in 30 days you've got a huge rate of gain.

Feed him 2,3 or 4 times per day. Keep him happy temp wise. Having a buddy will usually make them eat better. As far as what to feed, it depends on what you have access to. We push the corn and use barley for a smoother finish with just enough hay to keep the gut working. We try to shoot for about a 12% protien ration.

Thanks for the advice the steer would weight around the 150- 200kg range (roughly around 100lbs I guess) The competition isn't until May next year & will be approx 16mths. So I will have plenty of time to bring him along. I do have another steer that we are going to eat ourselves so I could finish them off both together. As for the grain ration I had thought to start him off real slow to not only get used to eating the grain but so he doesn't get grain poisioning on me. At the moment barley is the only type of grain that hasn't went through the roof & I can't buy corn in bulk unless its already cracked & baged up.
L V F