Feeding for freezer.

Help Support CattleToday:

Lomac

Reaction score
Hello all. Bought a heifer as a stall mate for my daughters show steer this year. He's partially blind so figured what the hell. Shes pretty straight legged and got a good deal on her IMO. I'm obviously not going to put her on show feed with the steer. What's the cheapest way to feed her out? She will go into our personal freezer at the end. Thanks

Lomac":6f6mii5s said:
Hello all. Bought a heifer as a stall mate for my daughters show steer this year. He's partially blind so figured what the be nice. Shes pretty straight legged and got a good deal on her IMO. I'm obviously not going to put her on show feed with the steer. What's the cheapest way to feed her out? She will go into our personal freezer at the end. Thanks

ddg and brewers grain

hey neighbor

Our terminal show is the first of June. Its not imperative to have her finished at that date but prefer not to have to bring her through the summer. Shes approx 550 right now. I'm not familiar with the abbreviations above. Cracked corn w some type of supplement?

June being 220 day from now and adg of 2.5 would put her at 1100 pounds then on full feed. Average of 15 lbs of feed per day, starting at 10 lbs now and finishing out on 20 would be 3300 lbs= $330 feed costs+ hay. So $400 should get you in the ballpark on feed + $400 to have her processed. I would feed a ddg base mixed with soy hulls or wheat midds and corn base mixed with alfalfa for last 30-60 days to finish out on.

Lomac":31zmyj0x said:
Hello all. Bought a heifer as a stall mate for my daughters show steer this year. He's partially blind so figured what the be nice. Shes pretty straight legged and got a good deal on her IMO. I'm obviously not going to put her on show feed with the steer. What's the cheapest way to feed her out? She will go into our personal freezer at the end. Thanks
If you want to just keep it simple put her on a good high quality textured "Horse and Mule" feed or any textured feed for that matter. 10-12% protein is more than enough but should have a lot of corn in it.

Yes I realized it was an old post, but I had never saw that term. No ethanol plants in Florida.
Thanks for explaining. Tying to figure out what to do with a stunted heifer born March of 2020. I was out of town and she went about 3 days without nursing and had scours, she was a mess. I bottle fed her and nursed her back to the living. I think the best thing is to fatten her up and put her in the freezer. I don't want to take her to market and sell her. I am afraid she would be bought and bred and it would kill her and the calf. Not sure the most economical way to fatter her up so trying to get some ideas.

Yes I realized it was an old post, but I had never saw that term. No ethanol plants in Florida.
Thanks for explaining. Tying to figure out what to do with a stunted heifer born March of 2020. I was out of town and she went about 3 days without nursing and had scours, she was a mess. I bottle fed her and nursed her back to the living. I think the best thing is to fatten her up and put her in the freezer. I don't want to take her to market and sell her. I am afraid she would be bought and bred and it would kill her and the calf. Not sure the most economical way to fatter her up so trying to get some ideas.
Give her a good grower mix. When you get ready to finish her, freshwater, free choice hay or grass, and whole shelled corn will do the job.Start slow with the grain and increase a small amount per week.

Latest posts