Feeding fat for better conception

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech- last spring we did some ET with receips that had been supplemented condensed solubles. settling percentage was 78%. embryos had been frozen as well. from everyone we had talked with this success rate seemed very, very high. really, the only difference in the way we managed the receips from others was the addition of the solubles - which are high in fat.

ROB

rouxshortorn":2zw244px said:
what kinds of fats are we talking about?
Most grain have a certain amount of fat. You can find a breakdown on th tag of the feed bag. Whole cotton seed can be added, it has 18-to 20% oil content.

I can not document results as I have not tracked em but I have been adding soy bean oil to my heifer feed for several years since I ran across some research that it did boost conceptions.

I feed it to my horses so i have it anyway and it was simple to add to the heifer feed which I mix by hand anyway.

If nothing else it is a good energy source which will give them a slight boost at breeding.

When beans were cheap I used to buy ground raw beans from a neighbor and added that to the feed. Also fed some to the cows daily post calving to prebreeding, but that was when beans were cheap.

novatech":3ijnxe3x said:
rouxshortorn":3ijnxe3x said:
Most grain have a certain amount of fat. You can find a breakdown on th tag of the feed bag. Whole cotton seed can be added, it has 18-to 20% oil content.

Word of caution.

do not allow bulls to eat cottonseed meal. Contains gossypol which negatively effects bull fertility.

novatech":cqos2hhi said:
rouxshortorn":cqos2hhi said:
So if this fat in grain is good for conception rates, would distiller's be a good choice since on average it contains 15% fat?

If you look at the article the poly unsaturated fat is better... so the question to me would be is the fat in the distillers grain poly unsaturated? I have no clue perhaps someone else could enlighten........

MoGal":3606nnxx said:
If you look at the article the poly unsaturated fat is better... so the question to me would be is the fat in the distillers grain poly unsaturated? I have no clue perhaps someone else could enlighten........
You sparked some interest in me so I googled it up. The answer is yes and found that there a lot more benefits. Like more milk protein, Great for calves.
Here is a site if you want to know more. Probably more than you want to know.
http://www.grains.org/galleries/DDGS%20 ... 20FULL.pdf

pdfangus":2f3o8whm said:
novatech":2f3o8whm said:
rouxshortorn":2f3o8whm said:

Word of caution.

do not allow bulls to eat cottonseed meal. Contains gossypol which negatively effects bull fertility.

Overblown precaution. Been feeding cottonseed meal to bulls forever.

Never had a fertility problem.

Now I wouldn't feed it straight, but we do mix it...........

MikeC":rrwy3eve said:
pdfangus":rrwy3eve said:
novatech":rrwy3eve said:
rouxshortorn":rrwy3eve said:

Word of caution.

Overblown precaution. Been feeding cottonseed meal to bulls forever.

Never had a fertility problem.

Now I wouldn't feed it straight, but we do mix it...........
I've been feed cotton meal to bulls for a long time with no ill effects either. Currently feeding 2 lbs per head to some weaned bull calves.

Not sure about the aqccuracy or exactness of the information, but I have been told by reputable swources that the origin of the cotton seed has to do with the gossypol content.

That cotton grown in AL, MS, GA does not have as high a percentage of it and posses less of a risk than cotton grown elsewhere.

Wives tale? Not sure. But it does come from a reputable breeder in MS, and nearly everything he has told me before has been accurate.

Latest posts