feeding cows

Help Support CattleToday:

How many of you have actually had a wreck calving heifers?? We've never, I know of one neighbour/friend that did. They C-sectioned 18 out of 30 heifers and the rest were pulls.

It's a pretty well known fact that the further north (colder) you go the higher the BW's get. And extra protein might up that number as well. Actually, I would go so far to say that it will... About 15 years ago, DH was working for a plant that sorted and sized Chickpeas. He had access to all the off sized, off shaped and split chickpeas he wanted. So, that was awesome, we fed chickpeas starting later in the winter (don't exactly remember when) That year we had the highest BW's we have ever had. We had heifers with 120+ lb calves. Looking at my books, we had a few we had to help, none were C-sections however. Same bulls a year later, no chickpeas either, and BW's were back down to what we usually see. Of course without doing a side by side comparison nothing is for sure...

Here's my opinion on feeding heifers, and breeding them too, I guess....

First off breeding them... I expect a heifer to be able to have (preferably unassisted) a 80-90 lb calf. I have no problem assisting if necessary if the calf is on the higher end (85+) of that range. I do however have a BIG problem assisting a heifer if the calf is under my preferred range. In fact, that will get a heifer culled around here in a hurry, the smaller the calf the faster the ride.... When buying bulls we look for BW of course, but also the shape of the bull and the calving history of his dam.

Now onto feeding.... We've always run a strict calving season. In the past that has been 60 days, last year we shortened it up to 50 days. So, here's what happens. Heifer is supposed to calve within that 50 day window, milk well enough to raise a GOOD calf (we don't tolerate crap around here), stay in good enough shape, while growing AND milking well enough to raise that good calf.......AND breed back within that 50 day breeding window!

Now consider the feed aspect. Mineral or no mineral, the most important thing towards your heifer calving, cleaning up after calving, and milking IS Feed (well water as well..lol). Whether she had that calf on her own, you helped her or god forbid she had to have a C-section, the nutrients going into her are directly related to her clean-up time, ability to raise a calf and breed back time.

OK, here's your heifers, consider that they are all bred to a proper (CE) bull....
A poorly fed (Miss Anorexic) heifer is more likely to have a weaker calf, although BW probably didn't change much as all those nutrients she was getting were going straight to baby, she's probably going to have some issues with calving (if nothing else she'll just tire out faster). Because she tired out quickly, you have to assist her. Or even with her desire for that calf (seen that in older thin cows), or that weak calf just doesn't get up and going like it should (guess what you get to help things out...) She's not going to milk very well (now you're on here wondering why that heifer just doesn't seem to have any milk and should you worry?), and as hard as it is for her to put condition on when she was in calf, she's going to have a lot harder time now that she HAS calved. Now, you want her to breed back on time. Ever heard that first calvers are the hardest to get bred back??

Now let's look at our properly fed heifer(Miss Svelte) (Not fat, but in nice condition). She goes into calving, and looks good, she's got lots of energy. She pops that slightly larger calf out maybe it's 5 lb heavier, maybe it's the same weight as she was getting enough to support baby and herself. She goes into calving, lays down and pops out a nice healthy calf (maybe you did have to give her a little help, or not). Said calf bounces right up and goes to suckling, mom's got enough milk and her colostrum is as good as it gets....for a heifer.... Now, she's going to lose some weight, (unless you've got some pretty good pasture or grain right off the bat), but when the spring grass comes in she'll put some of it back on and probably breed back fairly quickly. She's going to have enough milk for her calf, and all those other heifer's calves that run around in the milk stealing free for all....And she'll raise off a nice sized calf, mind you she won't be quite as fat and sassy looking after raising that calf, but she shouldn't look too bad....

Now lets take the FAT (Miss Chubby) heifer. Someone's been feeding this one a little extra treat. She's not just in good shape, but she's, let's say obese. Now one would think if good condition is good, than fat would be better, eh?? Well, not so much... Fat usually means not in that good of shape. Fat can mean that she is fat inside, and some of that room in the birth canal can be taken up by fat. The calf will probably be a bit bigger than Miss Svelte's was, after all with an excess of nutrients to make mom fat what do you think happened to baby. Now we all like to see chubby babies, but they don't come out real easily if they look like that before they're born.... Once you get the little chubster out, it probably bounces right up though. Now we look at the milk aspect, Miss Chubby here's been fed so well, she's put so much fat down that it's even been deposited in her udder. If there's fat there, than she just can't milk that well. Here colostrum is probably pretty good quality though, and the calf will probably be healthy enough that way. She's really going to learn what the real world is now though and she's going to lose some condition, well maybe a lot.... Now we've all heard that they breed back best on a rising plane of nutrition.....

In our herd, we try to keep our heifers in the middle of the playing field. They run out the same as the cows, usually until about Dec 15- Jan 1 (Calving starts Mar 1) depending on the fall grazing. For the first 4-6 weeks they get fed some of our poorer feed, but by Feb 1 we have increased the quality til we are feeding just about the best we have. We save the very best stuff for after they've calved. I don't believe in starving a smaller calf out of them, there are just too many other problems that go with that scenario. We assist a few heifers here, I don't believe any of that is feed related. Some might be bull related (wrong choice) or heifer related (High BW family) or genetic combination related (Bull A + Heifer B = Big calf). Heifers are notorious for being hard to breed back, but we don't find that to be especially true in our herd, I think last year out of 33 heifers we calved, 3 didn't breed back (one had a set of twins), and we culled 2 in the spring. 1 had a C-section (group of 4 open heifers we bought 3/4 had big calves) and one wouldn't take the calf we had left for her in the confusion.

As I said "Some don't know the difference between adequate and excessive". that would apply to both quantity and quality of feed.

randiliana":37sgqs2i said:
How many of you have actually had a wreck calving heifers?? We've never, I know of one neighbour/friend that did. They C-sectioned 18 out of 30 heifers and the rest were pulls.

It's a pretty well known fact that the further north (colder) you go the higher the BW's get. And extra protein might up that number as well. Actually, I would go so far to say that it will... About 15 years ago, DH was working for a plant that sorted and sized Chickpeas. He had access to all the off sized, off shaped and split chickpeas he wanted. So, that was awesome, we fed chickpeas starting later in the winter (don't exactly remember when) That year we had the highest BW's we have ever had. We had heifers with 120+ lb calves. Looking at my books, we had a few we had to help, none were C-sections however. Same bulls a year later, no chickpeas either, and BW's were back down to what we usually see. Of course without doing a side by side comparison nothing is for sure...

Here's my opinion on feeding heifers, and breeding them too, I guess....

First off breeding them... I expect a heifer to be able to have (preferably unassisted) a 80-90 lb calf. I have no problem assisting if necessary if the calf is on the higher end (85+) of that range. I do however have a BIG problem assisting a heifer if the calf is under my preferred range. In fact, that will get a heifer culled around here in a hurry, the smaller the calf the faster the ride.... When buying bulls we look for BW of course, but also the shape of the bull and the calving history of his dam.

Now onto feeding.... We've always run a strict calving season. In the past that has been 60 days, last year we shortened it up to 50 days. So, here's what happens. Heifer is supposed to calve within that 50 day window, milk well enough to raise a GOOD calf (we don't tolerate crap around here), stay in good enough shape, while growing AND milking well enough to raise that good calf.......AND breed back within that 50 day breeding window!

Now consider the feed aspect. Mineral or no mineral, the most important thing towards your heifer calving, cleaning up after calving, and milking IS Feed (well water as well..lol). Whether she had that calf on her own, you helped her or god forbid she had to have a C-section, the nutrients going into her are directly related to her clean-up time, ability to raise a calf and breed back time.

OK, here's your heifers, consider that they are all bred to a proper (CE) bull....
A poorly fed (Miss Anorexic) heifer is more likely to have a weaker calf, although BW probably didn't change much as all those nutrients she was getting were going straight to baby, she's probably going to have some issues with calving (if nothing else she'll just tire out faster). Because she tired out quickly, you have to assist her. Or even with her desire for that calf (seen that in older thin cows), or that weak calf just doesn't get up and going like it should (guess what you get to help things out...) She's not going to milk very well (now you're on here wondering why that heifer just doesn't seem to have any milk and should you worry?), and as hard as it is for her to put condition on when she was in calf, she's going to have a lot harder time now that she HAS calved. Now, you want her to breed back on time. Ever heard that first calvers are the hardest to get bred back??

Now let's look at our properly fed heifer(Miss Svelte) (Not fat, but in nice condition). She goes into calving, and looks good, she's got lots of energy. She pops that slightly larger calf out maybe it's 5 lb heavier, maybe it's the same weight as she was getting enough to support baby and herself. She goes into calving, lays down and pops out a nice healthy calf (maybe you did have to give her a little help, or not). Said calf bounces right up and goes to suckling, mom's got enough milk and her colostrum is as good as it gets....for a heifer.... Now, she's going to lose some weight, (unless you've got some pretty good pasture or grain right off the bat), but when the spring grass comes in she'll put some of it back on and probably breed back fairly quickly. She's going to have enough milk for her calf, and all those other heifer's calves that run around in the milk stealing free for all....And she'll raise off a nice sized calf, mind you she won't be quite as fat and sassy looking after raising that calf, but she shouldn't look too bad....

Now lets take the FAT (Miss Chubby) heifer. Someone's been feeding this one a little extra treat. She's not just in good shape, but she's, let's say obese. Now one would think if good condition is good, than fat would be better, eh?? Well, not so much... Fat usually means not in that good of shape. Fat can mean that she is fat inside, and some of that room in the birth canal can be taken up by fat. The calf will probably be a bit bigger than Miss Svelte's was, after all with an excess of nutrients to make mom fat what do you think happened to baby. Now we all like to see chubby babies, but they don't come out real easily if they look like that before they're born.... Once you get the little chubster out, it probably bounces right up though. Now we look at the milk aspect, Miss Chubby here's been fed so well, she's put so much fat down that it's even been deposited in her udder. If there's fat there, than she just can't milk that well. Here colostrum is probably pretty good quality though, and the calf will probably be healthy enough that way. She's really going to learn what the real world is now though and she's going to lose some condition, well maybe a lot.... Now we've all heard that they breed back best on a rising plane of nutrition.....

In our herd, we try to keep our heifers in the middle of the playing field. They run out the same as the cows, usually until about Dec 15- Jan 1 (Calving starts Mar 1) depending on the fall grazing. For the first 4-6 weeks they get fed some of our poorer feed, but by Feb 1 we have increased the quality til we are feeding just about the best we have. We save the very best stuff for after they've calved. I don't believe in starving a smaller calf out of them, there are just too many other problems that go with that scenario. We assist a few heifers here, I don't believe any of that is feed related. Some might be bull related (wrong choice) or heifer related (High BW family) or genetic combination related (Bull A + Heifer B = Big calf). Heifers are notorious for being hard to breed back, but we don't find that to be especially true in our herd, I think last year out of 33 heifers we calved, 3 didn't breed back (one had a set of twins), and we culled 2 in the spring. 1 had a C-section (group of 4 open heifers we bought 3/4 had big calves) and one wouldn't take the calf we had left for her in the confusion.

Thank you. That was detailed and it was worth the effort.

Thanks, good read. I have only had one real train wreck. Can you explain it?
Around 30 heifers, spent the summer in a controlled grazed pasture. Pasture consisted of crown vetch. Really nothing else. Vetch had crowded out everything else. 4 acres to each paddock. 40 acres in all. Proven CE bull turned out May 1, when we go to grass.
When I preg in the fall, I couldn't believe how fat these heifers were. They had fat on the tailhead like feedlot cattle. All bred, brought them home around Oct 15 when frost killed the vetch. Had never ran cattle on this pasture before.
At home, turned out with cows grazing fall pasture. Would guess they lost 150 lbs. of fat, but looked a lot better. No grain or supplement till calving, when I also started haying them.
Started calving, and pulled the first one, he died in a few days. Second one killed the heifer and calf. After that I called my vet when one was gonna' calve. He came and helped me on everyone of the remaining heifers. When they were acting like calving the call went in. All alive when he got there, lost some during delivery. The vet told me to watch them, a hard pull like that is like a car wreck, they will be sore for a while. They were, brought many in from the pasture 2 weeks old that couldn't get around. Ended up losing maybe a third of them.
Same bull next year, different pasture, no problems. Some of these cows are still in the herd, never anymore problems.
So, this bunch was fed good in first and second trimester, loosing weight in third. Exact oppsite of what people say should happen, '
Thoughts?" gs

greybeard":32z6ul5i said:
Heck even women don't starve themselves during pregnancy but consume enough of the proper foods to do for the baby exactly what the cow has to do with hers. Too many don't know the difference between adequate and excess. Guess that's a matter of opinion as well. :lol2:
Yeah, because sooo many women give birth at home, naturally, and unassisted.
Not a good analogy at all.
Go ahead--reach for the last drumstick on the platter with a pregnant woman at the table--you'll wind up with a fork stuck in the top of your hand...

That "last drumstick" simply confirmed what I said. Adequate....not excess in amount and quality. Humans are fully capable of having unassisted births, and many still chose to have them. Tradition, herd mentality, increased medical knowledge, and (unfortunatly) economical gain have shaped the way child birth is carried out in the world today (with great variety), but the way we birth says nothing about our physical capabilites to do so on our own.

plumber_greg":2wlsvd89 said:
All raised, out of cow families that had been around a long time. gs

What was your winter weather like that year? I know I just read a study that showed nutrition in the first trimester affected how the calf would grow for the rest of it's life, but there was no suggestion that it should affect BW.

Don't remember the winter. But, winter is mostly over here by April. Heifers weren't bred till May and on grass.Just always blamed it on the fact they were so fat at 5 months bred. But it goes against what is always said. ??"?"?"? Maybe I'm just super lucky. gs

Is that sayin' that if there was a gene that made a high birth weight, possibly feeding the cow a high nutrient requirement even in early pregnancy would bring that trait out? Sorry, have a little trouble 'ciferin university talk!! Thanks gs