Feeding Cost?

Help Support CattleToday:

I can't make a profit at that either but we have lots of company!
Last TAMU workshop I attended 7 or 8 years ago the cost was a dollar a day to keep ole belle standing in the pasture and that was an tight run outfit.
It opened a lot of eyes especially when 92% of the Texas herd is 35 or less.

Last TAMU workshop I attended 7 or 8 years ago the cost was a dollar a day to keep ole belle standing in the pasture and that was an tight run outfit.
It opened a lot of eyes especially when 92% of the Texas herd is 35 or less.
I would think a $1 a day possible here. Can you give a list of what we need to figure? You keep saying most people don't know how to figure cow cost.

I would think a $1 a day possible here. Can you give a list of what we need to figure? You keep saying most people don't know how to figure cow cost.
Feed, fuel, fertilizer, meds, taxes, insurance, maintenance etc. If it's spent on the cow it's charged to the cow.
No difference in other business if you don't know the money spent on the operation no way to know the cost.
Lots of welfare rib-eye for the consumers.

Just to feed mine only nothing but the cost of hay and pasture and a few cubes $153 per head/year last 2 years. That is 4 rolls per cow the cost of my lease places per cow and the little cubes I give to keep them used to a bucket. Now take that number and add everything else in its more obviously but you just asked what the feed its self cost

That you would ask someone to give you a list of what you need to figure the cost of keeping a cow leads me to believe you may not have
a handle on your own numbers which sadly is a matter of fact for too many of us in this business, myself included. I do know after some
honest research and calculation that on average if you think you are feeding a cow or maintaining a cowherd for a dollar a day each, you are
probably on your way out of business whether you realize it or not.

Just to feed mine only nothing but the cost of hay and pasture and a few cubes $153 per head/year last 2 years. That is 4 rolls per cow the cost of my lease places per cow and the little cubes I give to keep them used to a bucket. Now take that number and add everything else in its more obviously but you just asked what the feed its self cost
How can you make hay for that?
Hay cost alone are 60 bucks a roll for me, and due to army worms and drought. That's 240 frog hides in hay alone.
I know some their hay cost was pushing a 100 bucks a roll.

I feed 32 mamma, 1 bull and 15 calves for $8,400 per year. That comes to $263 per mamma. My cows carry all my operating expenses and I break even. They do not carry any capital costs.

I am going to wait for someone to ask or explain those numbers as I do not have the information to reconcile them.

Hay was $25 for a 4x6 roll this year so I bought 3 yrs worth and have it in the barn. Feed is high at $305 a ton delivered, I buy 25 tons at a time. Mineral is $22 a bag, I feed about 2 bags per cow a year. What else do you feed a cow?

Hay was $25 for a 4x6 roll this year so I bought 3 yrs worth and have it in the barn. Feed is high at $305 a ton delivered, I buy 25 tons at a time. Mineral is $22 a bag, I feed about 2 bags per cow a year. What else do you feed a cow?
Your hay man is loosing his ass. You can't buy a 4x5 fertilized less than 60 a roll.
No way can you buy fuel, fertilizer and net wrap for your cost of a bale .

I've been buying from him for years now. He called this year and said he had a deal for me. It's not the $38 hay I usually get from him but when I unroll it they don't leave enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket.

I've fed the best fertilized hay around a couple years in a row. It's too high @ $60-70 a roll, you can supplement way cheaper.

Did we ever decide if we're talking feeding cows or running a ranch here? Cost wise?

Hay cost alone are 60 bucks a roll for me, and due to army worms and drought. That's 240 frog hides in hay alone.
4x5 $30 a roll that's what I've paid last 3 years since starting to deal with my current hay man. I can still get hay right now $35-$40 a roll

He actually brought it to me this year for $30 a roll said it's cheaper on him to bring it and drop at my house then to haul to his barn unload I ain't complaining either he brought me 100 rolls for $30 each

Your hay man is loosing his ass. You can't buy a 4x5 fertilized less than 60 a roll.
No way can you buy fuel, fertilizer and net wrap for your cost of a bale
This is going price I. My area fir 4x5 hay right now

Attachments

• 3217DBF2-47B6-48FF-BED7-928E2018810E.png
    3217DBF2-47B6-48FF-BED7-928E2018810E.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 6
  • FFC0E90C-12EA-4393-9610-23EE270C308A.png
    FFC0E90C-12EA-4393-9610-23EE270C308A.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 8C8BDEA6-5B23-4A3B-93A7-B38438CF23F6.png
    8C8BDEA6-5B23-4A3B-93A7-B38438CF23F6.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 6