Feeding Corn on the Cob

Help Support CattleToday:

Brightview

Reaction score
Please excuse my limited knowledge here. We Feed 9-12 month old stud bulls and 18 month old stud bulls. Usually make the mix in a New Holland 353 Hammermill, the old red machines. One tonne mix made up of 300kg wheat or barley, 100kg of crushed oats or cracked corn, bran for fill through the hammer, while adding suppliments through back shute straight into bin. Also 20 litres sifted oil to reduce dust.

With our grain heading to nearly $600 per tonne, I may have access to a large amount of corn on the cob. My question is how do I introduce the corn on the cob? Do I just enter it through the hammer chamber? and what size seive should I use? I have 1/4 inch and 1 inch sieves. :help:

Lee

I am not calming to be an expert on this subject. When i was at home many years ago we had a grinder on an old truck we went to the field where the corn was in shocks ground stalk corn an all mixed with molasses and fed. The ear corn ground cob and all. The sheves were 1/4 in.

Obviously cob corn contains a lot of fiber so it is not the ideal feed for younger calves. It works great with washy pasture.

I grind it through a 0.5 in or larger screen to keep the dust down. I expect to get 2.5# per day on free choice hay or pasture and bucket fed cob corn.

I will bucket feed for a week or two, and then go to self feeding cob corn if we want to push the gain up over 3# per day. This actually was cost effective back when corn was $1.60 per bushel. :cry:

I grind ear corn in an old JD hammer mill with a 1/2 inch sive but it is too small. I recomend that you use the one inch. try it and see how it works.
To feed out bulls you can mix the ear corn by weight at 80% ear corn and 20% soy bean meal or 20% cotton seed meal.

All we feed is ground ear corn with free choice of hay to 200# all the way to finishing. We pick corn put it in a crib and grind it right there and then add some protien in the back. Works great we have never had any problems and have been doing for years. It depends on how big of tractor and how fast u feed it into the hopper. When we grind for 800# or more we add shelled corn straight in throught the door on top or else we jsut run it into the hopper.

We grind our ear corn through a 1/4" screen, its a little fine and dusty. Alot of the dust is the soybean meal but it works for me. It takes a bigger tractor to grind fine feed.

Latest posts