Feeding calves

Help Support CattleToday:

MF135

Reaction score
I purchased 12, 200-250lb beef calves at the sale last Friday and have had them on free choice hay and commercial creep up in the corral. I have ~5 acres of good quality common bermuda fenced off that I plan on running the calves on for 4-5 months. I am wondering what my options are regarding a feed that I can feed free choice while the calves are on pasture and have free choice hay? I have a 1 ton creep feeder I'd like to fill, do you suggest feeding a commercial creep or a mix?

Thanks!

MF135":kyghlifl said:
I purchased 12, 200-250lb beef calves at the sale last Friday and have had them on free choice hay and commercial creep up in the corral. I have ~5 acres of good quality common bermuda fenced off that I plan on running the calves on for 4-5 months. I am wondering what my options are regarding a feed that I can feed free choice while the calves are on pasture and have free choice hay? I have a 1 ton creep feeder I'd like to fill, do you suggest feeding a commercial creep or a mix?

Thanks!

MF

For that size calf you will need a 16% ration. Shop around for the best 16% mix you can find. Probably a small feedmill operation may be more flexible on smaller amounts of feed. Buy in bulk if possible or if you can haul & handle the 1ton super sacks should be cheaper than 50# bags. Bovatec or Gainpro will be cost effective additives for this ration and should increase adg by about .2#/day .

I would advise selling these calves before labor day for 2 reasons:

1. If given free choice creep they will get too fleshy, probably after 60-75 days at most. Fleshy calves will get docked when sold.

2. At least 19 years out of 20 calf prices fall between labor day and thanksgiving. As most calves are born in the spring they are sold in the fall creating more supply than demand.

You are probably thinking about the grass that will be left on Labor day. Let it grow and stockpile for winter use. In early Feb buy some more calves let them graze the grass (think standing hay) as roughage and use the same creep. They will be ready to sell as 4wts in April which is the peak of "grass fever". Let your grass recover and repeat the process next June.

BTW If you haven't already done it give them a shot of a long acting antibiotic as this heat is really stressful. In my experience it is money well spent. My favorite for this is Excede. Should cost less than $6.00 hd. Also have either Draxxin, Baytril or Nuflor on hand if one gets sick after the Excede wears off. I usually have to treat 2-3% of calves the second time at this time of year.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope this is helpfull.

All good advice but where you're located that 5 acres of common bermuda isn't going to last 30 days this time of the year unless you get a rain every two weeks and then it's gonna be doubtful.

Texas PaPaw":11ssglcr said:
MF135":11ssglcr said:

Thanks!

MF

For that size calf you will need a 16% ration. Shop around for the best 16% mix you can find. Probably a small feedmill operation may be more flexible on smaller amounts of feed. Buy in bulk if possible or if you can haul & handle the 1ton super sacks should be cheaper than 50# bags. Bovatec or Gainpro will be cost effective additives for this ration and should increase adg by about .2#/day .

I would advise selling these calves before labor day for 2 reasons:

1. If given free choice creep they will get too fleshy, probably after 60-75 days at most. Fleshy calves will get docked when sold.

2. At least 19 years out of 20 calf prices fall between labor day and thanksgiving. As most calves are born in the spring they are sold in the fall creating more supply than demand.

You are probably thinking about the grass that will be left on Labor day. Let it grow and stockpile for winter use. In early Feb buy some more calves let them graze the grass (think standing hay) as roughage and use the same creep. They will be ready to sell as 4wts in April which is the peak of "grass fever". Let your grass recover and repeat the process next June.

BTW If you haven't already done it give them a shot of a long acting antibiotic as this heat is really stressful. In my experience it is money well spent. My favorite for this is Excede. Should cost less than $6.00 hd. Also have either Draxxin, Baytril or Nuflor on hand if one gets sick after the Excede wears off. I usually have to treat 2-3% of calves the second time at this time of year.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope this is helpfull.
Thank you for all your advice. I'm new to calf nutrition so I appreciate all the help. Will all 16% rations yield the same results? High corn vs oats vs barley? The NETCo Op has the half ton sacks so that might be my best option. Do u suggest any additives or supplements. That will limit intake so they won't get too fleshy?

TexasBred":3b8it2dp said:
All good advice but where you're located that 5 acres of common bermuda isn't going to last 30 days this time of the year unless you get a rain every two weeks and then it's gonna be doubtful.
Yea I've questioned how long it'll last too. I could bail 20+ rolls off it as is and with feeding hay free choice, we will see. Any supplements you would suggest adding to the mix if/when the grass gets low?

MF135":1omcgf8k said:
TexasBred":1omcgf8k said:
Yea I've questioned how long it'll last too. I could bail 20+ rolls off it as is and with feeding hay free choice, we will see. Any supplements you would suggest adding to the mix if/when the grass gets low?

Don't hay it. Just adding more expense. TB is probably correct, but when/if the grass runs out have them add 10% cottonseed hulls or other roughage. Your stocking rate is only 600#/acre. With plenty of supplemental feed you might get lucky and make labor day. Basically, every 1# pound of feed they eat = 1 less pound of grass they will eat. The coop should have a 16% creep feed that should work fine. Get Bovatec or Gainpro added if possible. Using these additives will up the cost per ton a little but are proven cost effective in numerous feeding trials. All of the major feedlots use them and so do I.

As it is only a little over 60 days to labor day, why limit feed them? Limit feeding will only increase your cost of gain. If they start getting a little fleshy sell them and let your grass recover. Most 250# calves this time of the year are slightly thin and should stand 60 days of free choice feed + grass. If you had ample grass and a few more months, limit feeding could make sense. However, IMO you need to push them to get some pounds on before Labor day. If you keep them much past labor day any extra weight gain will surely be offset by a reduced price. I have the t-shirt for that one.

Just another 2 cents worth.

Most feed companies will make a textured feed with cottonseed hulls in it. I'd look for something along that line. I've known more than one that will name it something like "Bull and Heifer Grower". Since you're going to feed anyway I'd look at something along this line. AND you can see how much corn is in it unlike pellets which might contain anything and sometimes not much of anything. Most will only run 11=12% crude protein but will be higher in energy and give you good growth. Don't be fooled by one that might contain steam rolled corn. It will appear to contain a lot more corn that what is actually in there.

It's next to impossible to limit intake with a creep feeder unless you feed one of the feeds that are actually formulated to limit intake. The cottonseed hulls in a feed will limit the "slug feeding" due to the fill factor and the calves will eat more small meals everyday AND if you can find a feed with Rumensin (Monensin) it will help limit intake some and give increased rate of gain in addition to preventing coccidiosis. Othewise about the only limiter is salt and it limits intake too much for a small calf you're wanting to grow.

To touch on TexasBred's comment...

If you limit feed them you are trying to get them to eat more grass/hay and less feed... With your limited amount of forage you don't want to do this.... I would go with the 10-12% textured feed and let them eat what they want... You can get some of the 10% for around $5 a bag in central Texas... :D :D :D

Latest posts