FEEDING BARLEY

Help Support CattleToday:

quartermeter":1elmwi74 said:
TexasBred":1elmwi74 said:
quartermeter":1elmwi74 said:
it's mostly roughage and 25-30% protein dry weight so it's better for the young cows that are growing. I keep Hi Mag mineral for the xtra minerals they need when feeding the WBG.
Any particular reason for going with "Hi-Mag"??

It just has a lot more the minerals that they need. They need calcium and either potassium or phosphorus when they're eating that much roughage. The WBG also makes the cows give more milk. this is just from the reading I've done I've been feeling it for 6 months. I am in south central Tennessee.
That is why you "balance" a ration when you're feeding commodities.

TexasBred":2w1tgqyq said:
quartermeter":2w1tgqyq said:
it's mostly roughage and 25-30% protein dry weight so it's better for the young cows that are growing. I keep Hi Mag mineral for the xtra minerals they need when feeding the WBG.

There are several minerals and vitamins they need when eating wbg. The HIMAG has several of those.

quartermeter":r8jmkhol said:
TexasBred":r8jmkhol said:
quartermeter":r8jmkhol said:

There are several minerals and vitamins they need when eating wbg. The HIMAG has several of those.
Unless you're specifically referring to the magnesium level just about all minerals will have the other minerals tha the hi-mag has and at equal or greater levels. Some feed hi-mag because it is usually much lower in phosphorus thus much cheaper. Only real vitamins guaranteed only all minerals are A,D and E and usually very little D supplementation.

Been getting it for free the last couple yrs myself, but its not that great. As mentioned its nearly 3/4 water to start with. I have some feed analysis here somewhere I'll try and dig up

Supa Dexta":19mzb6uv said:
Been getting it for free the last couple yrs myself, but its not that great. As mentioned its nearly 3/4 water to start with. I have some feed analysis here somewhere I'll try and dig up
You just have to keep that in mind when feeding it just like when feeding silage. Tests done on an "as fed" basis will never look good on the surface due to the high moisture content but recalculate and figure on about an 88% dry matter basis which is the dry matter on most feeds and it will amaze you. Much of what we use to feed would run 26-28% crude protein when calculated this way.

Latest posts