Feeding Baleage

Help Support CattleToday:

cumminspuller

Reaction score
I'm about to start feeding baleage for the first time. I've got some good dry grass hay as well. My plan was to set out a roll of baleage and a roll of dry hay at the same time. Make them clean both up before feeding more. Is this a good idea? The baleage is sorghum sudan if it makes a difference. This will be fed to cows with calves at the side. What do some of you do that feed baleage? Thanks

After a disaster season several years ago we only feed the baleage post-calving now. The year we fed it prior to calving resulted in over-conditioned cows and abnormally large calves resulting in an excessive amount of calves being pulled.

My thoughts are if they like one over the other, the will gobble up what they like and trash the other before being forced to eat it.
I would feed 2 bales of the same every other time. I feed in bale feeders and this is what I do. For me, I have enough round feeder space for my group - if they pig out on some and not the others, then the timid cows get pushed out and are always forced to eat on the least desired hay.
@sassafras manor - depends on the hay PROTEIN level. "Most" baleage is better quality and generally higher protein. The high protein during the last trimester is what grows the calf. But, if you don't have options, high protein before calving is better than no protein.
In your case, did you use a different bull that particular year. Not saying your feed didn't cause your problem, but, bulls cause more calving problems than feed.

I don't like to put out more baleage than they will eat in one day. After a day it does not seem as attractive to them. They seem to waste a lot of baleage if just set out unrolled, those bales don't come apart like a dry bale. That could be more relevant here where it's colder than where you are at. Often times when feeding for two days at a time we will unroll the baleage and set out the dry hay. If you are setting bales out it is important to put out enough that they don't have to fight over it or the cows lower on the pecking order get the short end of the stick.

I use cone style bale feeders for baleage. I've found cows generally do a better job cleaning it up than fat cattle/weaned calves. Silver is accurate though, baleage doesn't fall apart like dry baled hay will (depending on moisture content and ambient temperature). I usually provide cornstalk roughage in other feeders or fenceline feeders.

I think Jeanne is right -- don't try putting out baleage with another bale, they will likely just use the other bale for bedding and smaller cows may not get enough.

Also, just be aware baleage generally has a lot of moisture in it so your cows stools may become rather loose.

I use to get haylage from the dairies on the coast. I had a couple of rules. Don't look at it and don't small it. Some (not all) of those bales would look and smell nasty, you would think nothing would eat it. But the next morning they had slicked it up.

I'm about to start feeding baleage for the first time. I've got some good dry grass hay as well. My plan was to set out a roll of baleage and a roll of dry hay at the same time. Make them clean both up before feeding more. Is this a good idea? The baleage is sorghum sudan if it makes a difference. This will be fed to cows with calves at the side. What do some of you do that feed baleage? Thanks
Off-topic, but do you know any of the Beasley family in your area. The father was a Vet years ago.

I use to get haylage from the dairies on the coast. I had a couple of rules. Don't look at it and don't small it. Some (not all) of those bales would look and smell nasty, you would think nothing would eat it. But the next morning they had slicked it up.
LOL - We have "inline" bales and we don't cap the ends. So, the 1st & last bale can get black and slimey - we generally take the plastic off & set the bales in a hedgerow or other out of the way place. They clean it up like it was candy. YUK - but they love it. Here in NY, it is difficult to get 3-4 days of sunshine, so baleage became extremely popular - especially for 1st cutting. Love it - Love it.

Off-topic, but do you know any of the Beasley family in your area. The father was a Vet years ago.
I took a master beef class this past spring as part of the Tennessee ag enhancement program. Doc Beasley actually gave a presentation on cattle reproduction one night. Only time ive ever seen him. Heard the name a pretty far amount though.

Thanks for the responces. Ive set out the first roll mid morning Friday. They have done a decent job of cleaning it up. Probably have to set out another roll or two this afternoon.

I took a master beef class this past spring as part of the Tennessee ag enhancement program. Doc Beasley actually gave a presentation on cattle reproduction one night. Only time ive ever seen him. Heard the name a pretty far amount though.
I took the BQA class but could not get away to Knoxville for long enough to get take the Master's class (it is about 2 weeks as I recall). How old is Dr. Beasley now? If it is the same Dr. Beasley then he must be really old, unless it is his son, Danny.

Yeah Haven't had issues lately since the weather has been single digits for over a month. Now we are having mid 30s with 2-3 days of 40-55 degrees then back to the 30s.

Tricky to answer. Depends on the weather.
If you are talking taking out a bale and totally unwrapping it - again, depends on the weather. In our really cold days - it will freeze pretty solid if just left - but other than freezing, it stays good for long time in the cold.
Our winters - can have an end open for months.
We don't "cap" the ends of rows when it is put up in the summer. When we start feeding, I don't put the end bale into a feeder. I generally just put it out in hedgerow or a spot they can use it as bedding - it is usually shrunk down pretty bad in the row.. Generally, they eat all of it. 2nd bale is perfect. If I have dry round bales when we are putting up baleage, we use a dry bale on both ends. Completely caps the row without any waste.

They are individually wrapped bales. If unwrapped in say 40 degree weather what do you think a week it would be good for? And if fed in a round bale feeder could I just unwrap half at a time so the half that is wrapped is staying fresh while they eat the unwrapped half?
Sorry for all the questions I'm new to all this. Thanks.

I'm feeding baleage to weaned calves now. It's out for a long time, no problem on consumption. If it's put up at proper moisture and properly ensiled it will keep good exposed until it gets really warm for a good stretch.

What I'm feeding is wheat/red clover baled and wrapped in '20. It was capped with dry bales not was left open ended in spring of '21. The first bale I fed in fall'21 barely had any waste even though it was open all summer. We have hot and humid summers.

We feed a second cutting baleage bale twice a week with 2 to 3 first cutting dry bales. We spread half of the baleage bale on the ground in 4 or 5 piles and the rest of the bale in a feeder, usually on what left of a first cutting hay. This gives all the cows a chance to get some. First cutting bales go in the feeders except for outside lay that goes on the ground for bedding. They usually clean up the baleage in about the first 4-6 hours. This gives the cows a good amount of protein with a mix of hay, but not overloading them by giving all baleage. Our first cutting hay is usually very good quality with Timothy, orchard grass, with some alfalfa or clover.

We've notice that if you have baleage that was wrapped at the very high end of moisture content and is "wet" when you unwrap it, the cows loose interest in it as it dries out. So if you put too much out at once and spread it out, you will get more waste.

Latest posts