Feeding angus cross Holstein

Help Support CattleToday:

Kyleg2057

Reaction score
Hi I'm a younger guy Trying to get into the cattle business I just bought a farm with 6 acres 2-3 of which are tillable. Think I'm going to plant some beans this year and then plant alfalfa after that. Anyways what should I feed cattle that are 350lbs and I'm going to raise them until they are about 750lbs and ready for a feedlot. I have a barn which I will keep my cattle in and they won't be grazing at all. I was think about feeding some alfalfa and some corn but I don't know anything about food rations for smaller cattle my grandp has a feedlot for finishing cattle so that's more what I'm used too. Thanks

You could do free choice alfalfa hay and put corn in a bunk once or twice a day. I find with Holstein x calves they do best when they always have feed in front of them expecially when young

Thanks for the reply. Am I better off. Using a self feeder so they always have feed in front of them? Is it necessary to feed alfalfa over just ditch hay?

Our holstein steers and xbreds go to steer stuffer with good soft grassy hay at about 65 days old. They are 200# or little more on the better ones.

We are using Accuration, there are other products to mix with corn also. I put 450# in my 83 bushel mill and fill the rest with corn. Simple and easy.

https://www.purinamills.com/cattle-feed/products/detail/purina-accuration-grower

Isn't accuration pretty expensive? I can't find how much it costs anywhere. You feed accuration mixed with corn and free choice hay? Anything else? Thanks for the reply

Not knowing your location, I would suggest a mix of good quality grass hay and alfalfa with a touch of grain/corn/grass screening pellets/distiller's pellets. I would give them mostly free choice on the grass hay. A free choice loose mineral salt might also be beneficial. Monitor the calves to see how they are growing and make adjustments as needed. Good luck!

Thanks for all the reccomendations. I think I'm going to go with free choice alfalfa, about 10-12% accuration grower and then the rest of the grinder mixer filled with corn. Would it be better to try and grind my alfalfa with the feed? If so how should I go about that? Thanks again

Latest posts