Feeding amount per year

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Dumb question, if I was to buy one cow, how much money do you think I would I spend on feed for a year? I'm tryin to work out a budget.

I would be supplement feeding it because I would have it on 100 acres. I would like to have at least five cows and wondered how much in general I'd spend just for one cow per month or per year. I'm assuming I might have to buy baled hay too. Thanks

[email protected]

Well I am in 4-H and I have had my steer for 7 months and I have spent $203 on feed.

> Dumb question, if I was to buy one
> cow, how much money do you think I
> would I spend on feed for a year?
> I'm tryin to work out a budget.

> I would be supplement feeding it
> because I would have it on 100
> acres. I would like to have at
> least five cows and wondered how
> much in general I'd spend just for
> one cow per month or per year. I'm
> assuming I might have to buy baled
> hay too. Thanks

> Dumb question, if I was to buy one
> cow, how much money do you think I
> would I spend on feed for a year?
> I'm tryin to work out a budget.

> I would be supplement feeding it
> because I would have it on 100
> acres. I would like to have at
> least five cows and wondered how
> much in general I'd spend just for
> one cow per month or per year. I'm
> assuming I might have to buy baled
> hay too. Thanks It is hard to give an exact amount with all of the variables that could go into this. Drought, long winter,ect.it all could effect how much you feed.As an idea for you to work with though is that cow would need about 3-5 acres of decent grazing and she could do fine with very little feed. If you wanted to feed her just to look at her and to keep her gentle a 50lb. bag could last two weeks or longer. As for hay in the winter, a small square should last a couple of days easily. Just remember if the cow is bred, lay off the feed or you could have problems calving. Hope this helped some. Best of luck.

[email protected]

Besides the weather (drought,etc) this really depends on what part of the country you live in and the quality of your pasture. In some parts of the country 3-5 acres of pasture per cow is a good estimate. Here in eastern Colorado it can be as low as 30 acres per cow. I have seen ratings in Arizona and New Mexico that were 100 acres per cow. You may want to talk to your county extension agent if you have one to get an idea for your area.

[email protected]

Latest posts