Feeding a calf a bottle

Help Support CattleToday:

samm":1caezqtj said:
i havent had time to get on line here lately, and Alice is correct, about the egg and yogurt. i have 2 more calves and am doing the same on them, one day last week i noticed something sticking out of the end of the nipple, and the calf had sucked a hunk of strawberry into it, i had to take a double take it looked like a piece of meat at first :shock: i usually just use plain ole yogurt with the live bacteria in it, but i used what i had, and it strawberry/banana. they eat em up.

samm

I used the yogurt until I got the Probios here, and that has been working well. I would have tried the egg, but we didn't have any at the time. I have one that is still kind of runny, may try that though.

Have never had to feed a calf a bottle yet. But My first thought would be to get some fresh milk from a local dairy farmer. I would think it would be cheaper than milk replacer. has anyone one else done this?

Holmesfarm":3rf7vs34 said:
Have never had to feed a calf a bottle yet. But My first thought would be to get some fresh milk from a local dairy farmer. I would think it would be cheaper than milk replacer. has anyone one else done this?

If it was cheaper then the local dairys would probably feed their calves with milk instead of milk replacer. In this area there are very few dairys that use milk for calves.

dun

I have always wondered about regular powdered milk and its applicability.

3MR":2uwlzel9 said:
I have always wondered about regular powdered milk and its applicability.

Not enough fat and protein. Hard to find powdered milk that runs 20% protein and 20% fat

dun

Latest posts