Feeder Panels and calfs

Help Support CattleToday:

The Bachelor

Reaction score
I'm looking at building a new haybarn this winter and want to feed square bales right out of the barn. I'm thinking of using those feeder panels and leaving the backside of the barn open. The only problem I can see is the calves could get in the barn through those things.

The panels say the "s" shape helps keep calves out. I was wondering if that worked. If not anyone have any suggestions? Thanks,

Brad

I have about 70 feet of those panels. It was originally designed to feed small squares in. Mine are more of a "Z" than an "S". The only calves that climb through are young ones up to about 6 or 8 weeks. Some learn to climb through and they do it all the time. Some never do go through. As long as they can't go too far they always seem to find their way back to momma.

I put some in my barn a few years ago where I feed my steers, last spring after my steers were gone I needed a place to keep two new cows ,which calved earlier than my other cows, away from the bull so I put them in the barn for a while. The one calf wasn't too bad but the other one was in the feed bunk most of the time, this bunk runs along the wall in the barn so he couldn't go anywhere , but he peed in the bunk which had to cleaned out all the time.

Latest posts