Feeder futures

Help Support CattleToday:

Just saw that. Hope Dad left his calves standing. He was going to haul a few in this morning.

This market has been all over the place. Read something over the weekend that they thought we had put the bottom in and we should see some slow increases to actual feeder prices. Some are calling for cull cows to head even farther down. Who knows???

I think it stems from the cattle on feed report that was released Friday. There is supposedly 4% more cattle on feed than this time last year and it was predicted that it would be less than last year.

Or it could be blamed on me, because I had planned on carrying some calves off today and it NEVER fails if I sale something it will be cheaper than it was last week or the following week! :bang:

J&D Cattle":3nsjrj2b said:
Just saw that. Hope Dad left his calves standing. He was going to haul a few in this morning.

This market has been all over the place. Read something over the weekend that they thought we had put the bottom in and we should see some slow increases to actual feeder prices. Some are calling for cull cows to head even farther down. Who knows???

I will have freezers full of ground beef before I give them away.

I was about to start a thread and see if any one had links to cattle inventories across the US. Im not sure what is going on across the US but it just seems logical that these prices would cause more people to stock up. Eventually the bubble will have to burst or we will have to have some major droughts to bring the cattle numbers back down.

skyhightree1":qg3cxwx4 said:
J&D Cattle":qg3cxwx4 said:

I will have freezers full of ground beef before I give them away.

We bought about 30 broken mouth cows and calved them out this spring. Some of the cows could stay around to have another calf but several need to take a ride. As I said in another thread we are weaning the calves off early and will try to heal them up and put some weight on them. Might roll the dice again if cull prices head that far down.

Well common sense tells me not nearly the number of cattle were lost in the fires or floods that some want you to believe. It's all about the money, betweeen subsidies, financial aid, and low interest loans some folks are making hay.

J&D Cattle":2uq7rqg2 said:
[
We bought about 30 broken mouth cows and calved them out this spring. Some of the cows could stay around to have another calf but several need to take a ride. As I said in another thread we are weaning the calves off early and will try to heal them up and put some weight on them. Might roll the dice again if cull prices head that far down.

Oh I understand but my last dice roll I lost my arse and atleast id have some beef in the freezer instead of giving it away is all I meant I understand

J&D Cattle":1hk2w3wj said:
Must have an ex-weatherman doing the cattle inventory forecast....

I too bought a bunch of cows in need of good grass, have done ok on their calves but now ready to turn the cows over and do it again. At best going to break even so I think I'm going to hold most them over the winter and calve them out again. They are looking much better one only a couple are struggling. Course I did sell two 500 lb calves last week, bought to short bred cows and was up $150. Looks like you can get some pretty good short bred cows for less than a 500 lb calf.

Dad was awful glad he left his calves in the lot. He picked up a few today while I was at the sale. Couple of his buddies bought some spots as well. Buyers were definitely talking about the board and most were sitting on their hands.

I bought a few rough steers today but I probably would have bought whatever the price, I felt they were lots cheaper.
Hold the cows for a while if you can. It will get better than it is now when the fall rush of old cows is over.

I'm going to a farm tomorrow and get the first pick on a 100+ head of cows. How much per head would y'all be willing to give? I'm going to help haul off what I don't want to the sale barn, and was thinking maybe I should just buy them through the ring?

kenny thomas":p52zfcdn said:
Way to much unknown to figure a price.

The cows are thin and haven't been wormed or worked. I'm going to do my best to pick the younger one's, with shiny coats and eyes. This is good for me because I can look at them, and get a feel for their temperament. $750?

National dead calf month is upon us. There's a wall of calves coming to town and a bunch will be big after good summer in some places.
I been waiting for this. They been to high when I knew they would come down. I'll get to buying soon. Anyone know any good side herds I can load some pots from? I like good calves.

True Grit Farms":3dp1jjug said:
kenny thomas":3dp1jjug said:
Way to much unknown to figure a price.

The cows are thin and haven't been wormed or worked. I'm going to do my best to pick the younger one's, with shiny coats and eyes. This is good for me because I can look at them, and get a feel for their temperament. $750?

Personally I would try 650.00 to 700.00

Latest posts