feeder calf sale?

Help Support CattleToday:

jrdyer42

Reaction score
I'm getting rid of two ~500 pound calves and I'm wondering which would y'all do; would you take them to a special feeder calf sale or would you take them to a regular sale with the typical head cows..weigh cows and calves? Thanks!

If they've been weaned, vaccinatied, wormed bunk/waterer broke and backgrounded for at least a couple of weeks, I would gowith the special sale. Otherwise I would just use the regualr sale

Thanks for the input! Concerning commission rates, does y'alls sale barn charge more commission for special feeder sales?

jrdyer42":3hxjfgyr said:
Thanks for the input! Concerning commission rates, does y'alls sale barn charge more commission for special feeder sales?
A barn here is starting a special weaned calf sale, there is a flat $12 per head plus the check off and insurance. That will make it about half what they normally are.

jrdyer42":d7gul4vm said:
One othe barns does a comingle and charges extra for that above the normal charges.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to take them off to the regular sale tomorrow. I figured the extra charges implemented in the special sale would probably at best even out compared to the regular sale, especially because one of them is red which of course doesn't sell as good as black anyways; the color might hurt the red calf even more at a special sale.

jrdyer42":1zbo4ll0 said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to take them off to the regular sale tomorrow. I figured the extra charges implemented in the special sale would probably at best even out compared to the regular sale, especially because one of them is red which of course doesn't sell as good as black anyways; the color might hurt the red calf even more at a special sale.
You need to attend the special sale sometime anyway. It will give you a better idea of the vale (or not) of doing it that way

Yes, I'm going to the special feeder sale tonight. I'll post the price comparison tomorrow after the regular sale.

In general, calves 550 lbs and less were down 10-20 cents in the special sale. Top dollar was paid for heavy calves which surprised me. The regular sale was steady; everything sold about usual and lower weight calves brought more at the regular sale.

Latest posts