Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

beaner5463

Reaction score
I am just wanting to get your guys idea on a feed that i fed this fall and part of the winter. I used the materials that were taken out of a grain dryer and then were transfered to a "fines" bin and I used this in replacement for corn. I found that it was very productive and did not have to pay for feed after August. I was able to fed out 3 steers of weights ranging from 1370 to 1665, and also a heifer weighing 1300 at market.

I am just wondering if anyone else has used this before or might be a new option for yourself.

Beaner are you talking about elevator dust, aka aspirated grain dust ? If so it usually has the same nutrient profile as the grain that it came from. Purina uses worlds of it in their feeds.

Beaner - I don't see any harm in it. Try sending Sugarman a PM about this. I know he has some experience in grain elevators.

I used to help a crop farmer and I would clean up the fines from the augers after putting corn in bin. Dump it in a gravity wagon and put aeration fans in the fines to keep it from heating and had a feed source all winter. Good feed if you can keep it from spoiling and the price was right.

Pete

Pete way to go. I guess we all need to keep our eyes open to opportunities for cheaper feed. Nothing at all wrong with feeding elevator dust or corn screenings and the like. Sometimes you can get them just for the price of your own labor.

Yes it has been very successful for myself and as i can tell for others as well. The farm that i work has a bin about 3 or 4 thousand bushels and it is kept here. Whenever i needed i would use my empty lick tubs and fill them up and feed them roughly a tub a day. Calves ate it up. The next question that i have is this. I am planning on buying 600# or 700# in March. The question that I have is should i mix these "grain dust" will regular cracked corn bought at my local feed dealer? I am planning giving a protein supplement made by Land O' Lakes along with a dry molasses matter. I've been told to give th molasses because the calves will eat the grain dust a lot better if there is something sweet mixed in it. Thanks for any suggestions and concerns about this matter.

Beaner...you can mix the grain dust with the corn as a cost cutter. I wouldn't mess with the molasses as it will just run your feed cost up. Those calves will eat the grain without it. Maybe not as agressively but as long as you get the daily intake you want it doesn't matter. Actually 'slower is better".

Latest posts