Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Case

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a formula or a method in figuring out how much the protein percentage will be in my final blend. More or less something that says if I mix X amount of corn gluten meal at 60% with Y amount of hog developer at 14%, the final protein will be N%.

The blend will be in 2,000 lb batches.

Thanks for the help!

Hello,

I'm looking for a formula or a method in figuring out how much the protein percentage will be in my final blend. More or less something that says if I mix X amount of corn gluten meal at 60% with Y amount of hog developer at 14%, the final protein will be N%.

Thanks for the help!
Based on what you have laid out, won't it depend on what amounts of each are being mixed?

Based on what you have laid out, won't it depend on what amounts of each are being mixed?
The final protein on the blend needs to be around 18%. I was hoping for a method that would say I need to mix X amount of corn gluten meal to Y amount of hog developer to achieve 18% protein.

Take the total pounds for each ingredient individually and multiply that by the % protein of that ingredient, in decibel form. Then take the total pounds of protein for each ingredient and divide by total pounds in the ration.

Example:
1000 pounds of corn x .09= 90# pro
400 pounds of SBM x .43= 172# pro
15 pounds mineral =0

262 total pounds protein/ 1415 total ration pounds= 18.5% protein.

There are a few free ration calculators out there.
Also learning to us the Pearson's square will give you the ingredient ratio.

Sorry, one more question. Will the Pearson table help in this scenario.

Per your example, your normal formulation is based on the below amounts. Now let's say your SBM supplier informed you that the protein is going to be 38% instead of the normal 43%. How do you formulate to hit your 18% protein spec?

1000 pounds of corn x .09= 90# pro
400 pounds of SBM x .43= 172# pro
15 pounds mineral =0

262 total pounds protein/ 1415 total ration pounds= 18.5% protein.

**** you then! I'll feed my ****ing hog on my own damn time without a formula so it grows up strong AND I won't tell you assholes how I did it

Hello,

Thanks for the help!
How spreadsheet savvy are you? If you use spreadsheets, I found one from the University of Arkansas that worked well for my finishing ration calculations but will work for any purpose. It has numerous standard feeds already input and you can add your own nutritional information for your own feed too. Here is the link where you can download the xls file. I have attached the instruction pdf. https://www.uaex.edu/farm-ranch/animals-forages/beef-cattle/nutrition-feeding.aspx

Attachments

• Cattle Grower Ration Balancing Spreadsheet User Guide.pdf
    861.3 KB · Views: 2
I suppose that means he was invited to leave. Oh well.
But it brings up a question, I don't feed gluten to any beef I am going to eat myself or sell for a beef. Actually don't feed gluten. Does it effect hog meat flavor like it does beef?
I stopped feeding gluten to our calves we fatten for beef too. We are currently feeding a ration of corn, soyhulls and corn gluten. I wonder how dropping the gluten part which currently is 1/3 of the ration would be?

I suppose that means he was invited to leave. Oh well.
But it brings up a question, I don't feed gluten to any beef I am going to eat myself or sell for a beef. Actually don't feed gluten. Does it effect hog meat flavor like it does beef?
My feed guy swears that gluten makes no taste difference. Can you actually tell a difference?

There was a discussion about gluten and hogs on here a few months ago. I don't recall that the question was ever answered though.