feed yard cost

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
One of our "local" Hereford associations are trying to put together a bunch of bull prospects to send to a feed lot to monitor growth as will as the usual carcass scans for the purpose of an associtaion sale down the road. The news letter was not very clear on the cost. .35 cents per day for yardage fee is simple enough as is the $1.50 per trip though the chute, one trip min. for vacc. But the feed charge is .80 cents per lb based on 2.8 lbs/day gain. That's where I get lost, can anyone give me a clearer picture of the cost at the rates listed above, including the average time the bulls stay at the lot.

I will add that I assume the feed charge is .80 per lb, but the memo said .80 per lb of gain (?) do they charge by the lb of gain rather then the amount of feed they consume?

Thanks,
Alan

my guess is that you will pay for the average pounds of feed required per pound of gain since the ration is set up for an expected average daily gain of 2.8 lbs. additionally, it may be broken down further into contempory groups of bulls rather than off the entire group of bulls. unless the station was set up for RFI testing it would be difficult to monitor exact intake.

ROB

$.80 per pound of gain sounds about right with today's feed prices. Essentially take your 2.8 lbs/day times $.80 to give you $2.24/day.

It will cost you $2.24 a day for feed, and $.35 a day for yardage, bringing total feed and yardage costs to $2.59 per day. :shock:

bandit80":2koh2qbq said:
$.80 per pound of gain sounds about right with today's feed prices. Essentially take your 2.8 lbs/day times $.80 to give you $2.24/day.

It will cost you $2.24 a day for feed, and $.35 a day for yardage, bringing total feed and yardage costs to $2.59 per day. :shock:

makes more sense now, thanks.... about how long do they stay.... at $2.59 per day (90 days, 6 months etc.)

Alan

Auburn has an 84 day test with a 20 day acclimation period.......so ~100 days. http://www.albcia.org/AUrules08.pdf
I think most people doing feedlot tests skip the 20 day acclimation period and a lot of people try to shorten it to a 60 days test. Anything less than that probably isn't worth doing. Anything over 100 days and you might as well just chop his head off and eat him. You need to contact your people for their details.