feed trough and water tank skirts

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I know I have seen it before but I can't find it. What do most of you use to put down on heavy traveled, feed bunks, water's to keep down on muddy holes. It is awful dry now and I have permanent feeders and water tubs and I was going to build something before winter. Maybe then we will have some moisture

Sadly concrete is the only sure bet I've found so far--- still looking though.

The geo-textile with rock will work (if you put it in right) IF there is no manure build-up in the area. If the maure gets more than an inch deep the rock floats up into it.
My nieghbor tried bigger rock to see if it would stay down under manure--- but it worked up too.

We just had a few big rains(sorry drought guys) on my new "tire pad" around the stock tank.
So far it looks like its gonna work.

we dug up the top soil area around the barns and trough areas with a skid steer, put down crush n run gravel, tamped it, works great. has endured the punishment now for 3 yrs. makes clean up easy.

Only thing that works around here is concrete. Just finished new weaning and background pen.

Hope pics work.

Bunks we put in last year.
PICT0013_0001.JPG

New bunks just completed
PICT0006_0001.JPG

New working lot
PICT0007_0001.JPG

Construction crew. Daddy, Josh and Myself.
PICT0004_0001.JPG

We did that because the bunks wern't deep enough.

We are grinding ryegrass balage and adding waste cereal so it is bulky feed. Needed deeper bunks but these were all we could find locally.

Johnny

WOW, super nice. I have to ask. what do you put that project cost at. I really like the guard rail. How is it working for you. Is it priced comparable to welding a pipe fence. How deep did you pour your concrete.2"-4". Thanks and it looks good.

The feed bunks are 100 ft and cost around $3000.00

The slab is 3 1/2 inches with fiber reinforcement. We are lucky with good sandy clay soil here and no deep freezing so doesn't take mush for slab.

The lot was about $4500.00

That was for 350 foot of fence and 7 12 ft gates. The guard rail is $2.00 per ft up from $1.25 just a year and a half ago. Steel gone thru the roof.

Its was a hot job building but have run some calves thu it and it really worked nice,

Johnny

Johnny,

That looks like a real nice setup. I would have never thought of the guard rail setup, but I have to say, I wish I had some. Looks like a job well done that will last for years.

Latest posts