feed test results

Help Support CattleToday:

footballjdtractor

Reaction score
I just got back the results from a feed test. I don't completely understand what all the numbers mean. This test is from a complete mixed ration for fatting steers 800-1200 pounds. numbers are on dry matter basis.
protein 11.19%
fat 3.39%
adf 13.46%
adicp .54%
aNdf 27.86%
lignin 1.04%
ash 2.36
starch 50.47%
NEL 87.71
NEM 85.44
NEG 56.53
calcium .3194%
Phosphorus .37%
Magnesium .13%
NIR CALC TDN 81.17%
Sulfur .1762
Evaluate this ration and tell me if I'm on the right track, or what you would do different.

I'll give a shot since no one else is
But first all this is subjective-- the real goal is to make money- so tweaking for perfection(without cost inputs) is not always profitable.

Seems like NEg is a little low (i shoot for 60) But again sometimes its cheaper to feed longer with a lower NEg.
Fat could be higher(First place I would look to increase the NEg )
Your cal:phos ratio is off-- need 2:1 Add limestone

footballjdtractor":2peh2em6 said:
I just got back the results from a feed test. I don't completely understand what all the numbers mean. This test is from a complete mixed ration for fatting steers 800-1200 pounds. numbers are on dry matter basis.
protein 11.19%
fat 3.39%
adf 13.46%
adicp .54%
aNdf 27.86%
lignin 1.04%
ash 2.36
starch 50.47%
NEL 87.71
NEM 85.44
NEG 56.53
calcium .3194%
Phosphorus .37%
Magnesium .13%
NIR CALC TDN 81.17%
Sulfur .1762
Evaluate this ration and tell me if I'm on the right track, or what you would do different.

First thing that caught my eye was second line from bottom "NIR CALC TDN". NIR test are for testing forages and do not give a good indication of the true value of a mixed feed. Check with your lab and see if they have a "Wet Chemistry" test and if so send them another sample. Ask them also to test for minerals. They can do vitamins as well but very expensive. ......... But with what this test shows, the feed contains a a good amount of grain, has a pretty good ADF but I'd want it a lower and the NDF is a bit high, has good energy and digestibility, and could use a bit more phos. and calcium. Fat is not going to be accurate on this test but your energy levels are high enough without increasing cost with added fat. Since all these numbers are on a 100% dry matter basis you'll need to recalculate using around 88%-90% dry matter.

Latest posts