Feed, supplements and Green Grass.........

Help Support CattleToday:

jrgrtx

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I'm fairly new to cattle and am looking for a little advice. I have stumbled my way in to a few cattle (2 heifers and a bull to start with) and am looking for suggestions, advice, criticism, anything on feeding. I have the heifers in one pasture and the bull in another right now. All 3 are less than a year old. We have plenty of green grass for them right now and I have salt and minerals out for them. They love range cubes but I'm wondering if the cubes are even needed as long as they have plenty of grass. Any feeding suggestions would be appreciated.

Use the cubes occasioanlly to get them used to coming up when you want them. Other then that they make you feel better then any good they do the cows.

I appreciate that. Grass is good and thick so I didn't see any need to keep buying bags of candy basically for them. As the summer sets in later on and things start to thin out and turn brown, hay was my plan but for now, everything is thick and green.

jrgrtx":ybg3whou said:
for now, everything is thick and green.

Welcome to easy street. It is nice here. Wish I could stay!!!!! :) Cows are fat, calves are fat, pasture putting out more than they can eat. Stock tanks are full of water. Fences are fixed. too bad it is not like this always.

Well I can't say that the tanks are full................ South Tx has been dry, dry, dry. But some decent spring rains have brought on good thick grass. Problems is, that good thick grass and dry ground soaked up all the rain before it had a chance to fill the tanks. So we're still on troughs. I've got a few skinny calves about 8 - 10 months old that I'm trying to put some weight on. They spent their time after weening in a lot with nothing but dirt and a round bale. I have them in a 16 acre pasture with shin high green grass but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. They've had their shots, I wormed them this past weekend with some safeguard and poured the CyLence to them and turned them out. I have salt and mineral blocks out and a little granular. They come and gobble up the cubes which is great to gentle them down and get them coming to you but I don't want them relying on being fed when the pastures are green. Just looking for some opinions from more seasoned people in the cattle business on anything I should be putting in the pasture right now and as the green grass fades to put the weight on. Thanks to all.

Latest posts