Feed ration calculator

Help Support CattleToday:

Dale L

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a mix for a show heifer my daughter will take to the fair this year. Just wondering if anyone knows of a site where you can play around with different feed mixes and figure out protein, fat, fiber content etc. The company we have used for show lamb feed has a heifer developer but I am sure it is high dollar and a calf will eat more than a lamb. The label lists the heifer developer at 13% protein, 3.5% fat and 16% fiber. I'm thinking if I could find some kind of calculator I may be able to come up with something that includes some of the following ingredients: Cracked corn, soybean meal, protein pellet etc.

You'll be way ahead if you'll just stick with a good high quality show calf feed. Unless you know what you're actually dealing with when it comes to formulating and balancing rations you're just peeing into the wind.

I think the university of minnesota has a feeder calf calculator for free on their ag website. Like TB said though for one show calf you would be better off and more accurate to stick with bagged show feed.

Go to beefbasics.com and click on the feed ration and cost calculator at the top of the page. This should be pretty close to what you are looking for.

Latest posts