Feed Question

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree with what you have said. Bahia can make some decent hay if cut at a decent stage of maturity. You also probably control your calving season so as to take advantage of spring forage flush and not carrying cow-calf pairs through the dead of winter on low quality hay.

yes i read where a lot of you said we should have our hay tested. SO I called around and found where to send it too. in OHIO.
I called and they told me just how to go about how to collect it. sent it off today. just though some one out there may need this info.

the co. is SPECTRUM ANALYTIC INC
1087 jAMISON RD NW THEY ALSO HAVE A WEB SITE WWW.SPECTRUM ANALYTIC INC
WASHINGTON CH ,OHIO 43160=8748 there sitE tell you alot of info on many things more than hay,soil
water, manure, and more.
PHONE 1-800- 321-1562

I WAS TOLD THIS IS WHERE LOTS OF FEED STORE SEND YOUR HAY OFF TO. it is cheap $10.00
hope this help. thanks kypops ,wife
WE BOTH HAVE LEARNED A LOT FROM THIS SITE. THANKS AGAIN

Caustic - glad to hear what your yrly cost / cow is - mine has been running around $475/cow/yr. That's everything I claim as deduction on taxes except depreciation. Is that pretty much how you figure? I don't put a price on our labor.
Edit -Well - that's an exageration! I don't claim things like electricity, trash, memberships. I do claim show/sale/travel expenses, land rent, etc.

Wow, Thanks dun and kypop for the info. printed up both for my record notebook. I'm down to one comp. Desk top is at my son's house getting updated, and Hubby's lap top is for his college. So I can't use that one. Only if I get up early and use it before he get's done with the newspaper. Then he needs it back to see what happen on his on-line classes from the night before. I opened up view post and there is 7 pages. And view post my post is 2 pages. Alot of reading to be done. Back to reading. :compute:

chadreed88":1p2ahmo4 said:
I haven't had any hay tested this year although it is I know above average hay unless we had some severe change because we tested the same meadows last year and they were very good.

Last years results don't mean diddly squat when it comes to this years hay. Hay quality can vary widely from year to year - get it tested again, and you will KNOW what kind of protein it is delivering, and can go from there to provide adequate nutrition for your cattle.

Sorry, but I rarely have ours tested (and hubby tests his customers all the time - like the shoemaker with kids barefoot! :banana: ).
LOOK AT THE MANURE. It'll tell you what protein/quality of hay you're dealing with. We all need to get a better "EYE of the Master" type attitude. You need to be able to "read" your cattle's condition & the quality of what you are feeding.
"Eye of the Master" - we don't hear that much any more do we?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3cl7sjdo said:
Sorry, but I rarely have ours tested (and hubby tests his customers all the time - like the shoemaker with kids barefoot! :banana: ).
LOOK AT THE MANURE. It'll tell you what protein/quality of hay you're dealing with. We all need to get a better "EYE of the Master" type attitude. You need to be able to "read" your cattle's condition & the quality of what you are feeding.
I see your point and can't argue against that logic. However, I think testing will give you a good idea what you've got before problems, like loss of condition, occur. It isn't expensive to take a small sample and find out what that big ole stack of hay contains for nutrition. Maybe it's just the dairy side of me that brings this sort of attitude.

novaman":1q74u325 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1q74u325 said:
I see your point and can't argue against that logic. However, I think testing will give you a good idea what you've got before problems, like loss of condition, occur. It isn't expensive to take a small sample and find out what that big ole stack of hay contains for nutrition. Maybe it's just the dairy side of me that brings this sort of attitude.
I would think you would see it in the bulk tank befopre you got the results back

Caustic Burno":3c5xwbyd said:
That is why I operate on one rule ruthless culling of the herd if a cow is not an easy keeper and doesn't produce a calf every 12 months on my grass and hay she is fired no exceptions.

What if your hay and grass is way below average for a year or 3. Any exceptions?

i sure hope you cows dont have Johnes disease, i heard it is really bad.
I was just wondering if my hay is a good grade,Yes i had it sent off to have it tesed.here is what it came out.

MOISTURE--------------9.52%
CRUDE PROTEIN---------------9.12%
ACID DETERGENT FIBER------------35.33% Method AOAC 965.08
NEUTRAL DETERGENT FIBER-----------54.62%
T.D.N.--------------------------------------63.30%
NET ENERGY -----------------------------48 Mcal/100lb
RRELATIVE FEED VALUE-----------------105

I dont understand these#.if any one could tell me what i have good or not so good.
thanks for any info. i dont know if i am on the correct board. forgive me if this dont belong here.
thanks for all the help kypops other half char

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2vx9wi3c said:

Ok, I see your point and I thank you. :)

kypops":22217qeg said:
I was just wondering if my hay is a good grade,Yes i had it sent off to have it tesed.here is what it came out.

I dont understand these#.if any one could tell me what i have good or not so good.
thanks for any info. i dont know if i am on the correct board. forgive me if this dont belong here.

Don't know what kind of hay you had tested but based on the ADF, NDF, TDN and RFV (Which are pretty good) I would have expected the protein to have been up in the 11-12% range.

kypops":1rkhtodj said:

In a moderate climate, it appears to be acceptable for dry cows and maybe cows bred 6 months or less. (I'm wondering about the ADF and only 9% CP. My way of thinking, they contridict each other. Probably forage type.)

Take a look at this. It gives a good explanation of what the numbers mean.
http://beef.unl.edu/learning/feedAnalysis.shtml

msscamp":3vt5k036 said:
chadreed88":3vt5k036 said:
I haven't had any hay tested this year although it is I know above average hay unless we had some severe change because we tested the same meadows last year and they were very good.

Last years results don't mean diddly squat when it comes to this years hay. Hay quality can vary widely from year to year - get it tested again, and you will KNOW what kind of protein it is delivering, and can go from there to provide adequate nutrition for your cattle.

True...and this years are worthless as well unless you have each cutting tested, each field tested and then utilize the results. Too many folks have an "I have to feed it anyway" attitude, never change anything they do and end up not knowing anything about what they're feeding.

TexasBred":3pescjk1 said:
i sure hope you cows dont have Johnes disease,

JOHNES DISEASE !!!!!!!! JOHNES DISEASE !!!!!
I sure don't want to make everyone on here mad but evertime there is a post of a cow that is poor seems like someone starts this idea that its got Johnes well not so!!!! sometimes some cows just winter harder than others ,some poor cows you buy at the sale barn are there because they ran out of feed and they got poor cause they aint had any thing to eat I have made some good money on them poor cows that just needed wormed and fed I know of three men that have made LOTS AND LOT OF MONEY on them cows that are poor, can you get a bad one sure you cat but you can get a bad one that is fat also. remember every cow that comes through a sale barn is not bad and every cow that is poor does'nt have Johnes!!
O well just my point of view when I read some of these post I guess it rubbed me wrong,

novaman":3pi8anbv said:
Now that you mention that these cattle were bought it changes things a bit. There is a possibility of disease like Johne's or the like. Buying cattle is dangerous IMO and since you say they don't look very good that would make me concerned. Not trying to scare you but there is always the possibility.
Right........you start mixing a bunch of cows from different places like that in a short period of time.......it would only take the first batch to mess up the next 3-4 purchases in a wink.......

msscamp":359dd4pf said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":359dd4pf said:

Ok, I see your point and I thank you. :)

Hi. What are you " looking " for in the manure? I noticed some of my buddy cows looked like oatmeal the other day......not runny but not full of roughage to say.

BRYANT":1zddfa15 said:
TexasBred":1zddfa15 said:
i sure hope you cows dont have Johnes disease,
BRYANT":1zddfa15 said:
JOHNES DISEASE !!!!!!!! JOHNES DISEASE !!!!!
I sure don't want to make everyone on here mad but evertime there is a post of a cow that is poor seems like someone starts this idea that its got Johnes well not so!!!! sometimes some cows just winter harder than others ,some poor cows you buy at the sale barn are there because they ran out of feed and they got poor cause they aint had any thing to eat I have made some good money on them poor cows that just needed wormed and fed I know of three men that have made LOTS AND LOT OF MONEY on them cows that are poor, can you get a bad one sure you cat but you can get a bad one that is fat also. remember every cow that comes through a sale barn is not bad and every cow that is poor does'nt have Johnes!!
O well just my point of view when I read some of these post I guess it rubbed me wrong,

Correct your cut and paste quote...I never made that post and have made no comments a bout Johnes disease at all. Sorry to see you get so riled up over nothing. That can ruin a man's whole day.

TexasBred":mmd3iq6l said:
Correct your cut and paste quote...I never made that post and have made no comments a bout Johnes disease at all. Sorry to see you get so riled up over nothing. That can ruin a man's whole day.
OK TEXASBREAD DON'T GET ALL RILED UP THAT CAN RUIN YOUR DAY :banana:
Don't know what I did to get your name on that quote if you did'nt say anything about it like I have said in other post I aint a good speller and I don't know much about computers so I guess I just screwed up O WELL NOT THE FIRST WONT BE THE LAST
Now johnes you see every time there is something posted about a cow being skinny someone ,lots of someones, will get off on the kick of johnes I think the man said he was kind of new at this cow thing, so if that is what he said, when the johnes commit was posted can very easy lead him wronge the real problem may not have anything to do with johnes more than likely it is not johnes if they all are skinny, Have you ever heard the joke about in the "Good ol days" they use to get a poor cow up cause she had hollow horn or hollow tail they would split her tail pour a littli salt in it tie a string around it keep her up in the lot for a few days and she always started to get fat. well she did'nt have hollow horn or hollow tail she had hollow belly!! Now I am not saying the mans cows has hollow bellies but I will bet they don't have johnes either

BRYANT":18ld0j0c said:
TexasBred":18ld0j0c said:
OK TEXASBREAD DON'T GET ALL RILED UP THAT CAN RUIN YOUR DAY :banana:
Don't know what I did to get your name on that quote if you did'nt say anything about it like I have said in other post I aint a good speller and I don't know much about computers so I guess I just screwed up O WELL NOT THE FIRST WONT BE THE LAST
Now johnes you see every time there is something posted about a cow being skinny someone ,lots of someones, will get off on the kick of johnes I think the man said he was kind of new at this cow thing, so if that is what he said, when the johnes commit was posted can very easy lead him wronge the real problem may not have anything to do with johnes more than likely it is not johnes if they all are skinny, Have you ever heard the joke about in the "Good ol days" they use to get a poor cow up cause she had hollow horn or hollow tail they would split her tail pour a littli salt in it tie a string around it keep her up in the lot for a few days and she always started to get fat. well she did'nt have hollow horn or hollow tail she had hollow belly!! Now I am not saying the mans cows has hollow bellies but I will bet they don't have johnes either

Some folks don't need to put their loacation in, ya just know they are from Tenn.

Latest posts