feed question

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
This winter I am going to be feeding out several steers. My plan is to give free choice coastal hay, along with loose mineral. I also will be giving them each about 2 -3lbs of some type of beef builder feed per day. My question(s) is this a good plan? Will this be enough protein? I can add range cubes if needed. Is the daily beef builder a good idea, or a waste of money?

Also I am not looking to make a large profit off of this, I am just wanting meat for my extended family.

Thanks

Tim

I am not familiar with the product "beef builder".
If you are wanting to put beef on the table I would reccomend feeding a cheap "horse and mule" feed adding some corn (chopped or rolled) to it. In order to get a reasonable amount of finish you will need to feed at least 2% of their body weight every day. But this all depends on how much finish you want and how quick. On the other hand if you just want to grow them check the label on your beef builder. If it has around 13% protein I would still feed at least 1% of body weight. In that case there is no need for cubes. I would never feed cubes to a slaughter calf. Some has urea in it. And its just not necessary for what you are doing. I believe in feeding free choice hay to everything.

I use a beef builder feed when feeding out steers. It is basically just a mixed sweet feed. I would start out feeding 5-6 lbs day, broken into 2 feedings, morning and night. I would slowly ramp up the feed until you are feeding around 25 lbs a day. I would also make sure they have access to pleny of fresh water and some hay.

I would keep the steer on this ration for somewhere between 90 to 120 days, or until it is finished to the weight you desire.

Right now the steers are still eating from a bottle. So I am not looking to finish them over the winter, I am just looking to grow them over the winter. I was just not sure how much protein they needed.

Latest posts