Feed prices may be on the way down soon.

Help Support CattleToday:

NC Liz 2

Reaction score
A top Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) official said on Wednesday that the agency's biofuel program has led to an unrealistic demand for petroleum refiners, a confirmation of warnings that have long been made by oil companies.

Christopher Grundler, the head of the EPA's Transportation and Air Quality Office, told the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee that the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) has threatened to force petroleum refiners to mix a blend of gasoline that cars can't use. …"We're recognizing that the blend wall has been reached," he said during Wednesday's hearing on the annual mandate.
"Reaching the blend wall clearly presents constraints to using higher ethanol quantities because of the infrastructure and other market limitations," Grundler added. …
A group of eight senators unveiled legislation Thursday to repeal the federal Renewable Fuel Standard's contentious ethanol mandate, saying regulations are pushing up corn prices and threatening the oil-and-gas industry.

Introduced by Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), the Corn Ethanol Mandate Elimination Act of 2013 would effectively repeal requirements for the amount of ethanol that is blended into gasoline.

"The time to end the corn ethanol mandate has arrived," Coburn said in a written statement. "This misguided policy has cost taxpayers billions of dollars, increased fuel prices and made our food more expensive."

"Under the corn ethanol mandate in the RFS, roughly 44 percent of U.S. corn is diverted from food to fuel, pushing up the cost of food and animal feed and damaging the environment," [Feinstein] said.

Co-sponsors of the bill include Richard Burr (R-N.C.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Bob Corker, (R-Tenn.), Kay Hagan (D-N.C.), Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Jim Risch (R-Idaho) and Patrick Toomey (R-Pa.).

Good for beef producers--not so good for people who raise corn--or beef AND corn.

Will we see a lot less ethanol produced? What about the availability of ddg?

Nobody resents/hates ethanol as much as me. I still doubt that they throw the baby out with the bath water. To many people are getting fat pockets off the stuff. When did the government ever take from the rich to give to the poor. (Not talking about grain farmers).

Graybeard,
Sorry for such short answers to your questions but with the political restraints on here and I have no desire to be a pinata for the pharmaceutical and feed salesman on here as was somone else therefor I have no choice but to give short answers.

not so good for people who raise corn--or beef AND corn.
Very good for beef people but not so good for corn growers.
Very good for those who consume beef and milk.

Will we see a lot less ethanol produced?
I would think so
What about the availability of ddg?
Should go down.

Now a question for you.
Q. Why are so many black angus cattle getting red hair/spots on their back?
Liz

Good deal for ethanol distilleries- if the ethanol mandate is repealed they'll keep getting subsidies for doing nothing.

Red Bull,
IMO you are only half correct.
Are you a pharmacitcal or feed salesman?
Liz

You are correct in that it is caused by a copper deficiency but insufficient intake is not the problem.
The problem is that absorption of the copper taken in is being blocked.
Now the question is:
What is blocking the absorption of copper?
Answer that and you can be the pinata for a while. ;-)
Liz

You are a idiot Nc liz2. Apears we have a Sirloin clone amoung us. I feed no distillers by products and what few black cattle I have will have a red tint to there hair with proper mineral.

This cow is a result of an Angus Dam crossed to a Simmental Bull. I purchased her from the breeder/owner. She is about 4. She has all the access to loose mineral she wants. She is one of my cows that I see consuming loose mineral. Only 2 of my 20 head of cattle have the brown tint on the saddle of their back like the cow in the picture. The rest are black without any brown tint. So why would two have it and not the rest?
21kb6za.jpg

as corn comes down , the ethanol plants could ramp up production again , they are exporting alot of ethanol nowdays , which should de stopped in my opinion. we export corn, we export ethanol, we export our own oil, we turn corn into fuel, and all the while the price of corn ,feed and food skyrocked , what did we gain with all this? seems like a vicious cycle to me , hundreds of livestock companies folded during the times of record corn prices.

If it were a horse, the animal would get the red tint (sun bleach) because it has a red gene.

NC Liz 2, Winks and answering a question is not a good way to get respect here. And way are you paranoid about pharmacitcal and feed salesman?

ETA: Re: Feed prices dropping. I'll believe it when I see it.

So why would two have it and not the rest?
Not sure I can answer that one for you, so let me state the agreed upon facts and see where it goes from there.
Fact:
1. a copper deficiency causes the redness
2. in cattle copper is ingested as are most all ( trace )minerals
3. copper is absorbed into animal
4. sulfur blocks the absorption of copper

now with that in mind:

Cattle producers have, over recent years, become well aware that high levels of sulfur molybdenum and other minerals in a cow's diet can affect her ability to absorb copper.
http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2004 ... T345.shtml
That also is a proven fact.
Now this is where we move from fact, to investigation to attempt to answer your questions.
Another proven fact:
Copper Requirements in Cattle Cattle diets should contain about 4-10 parts per million (ppm) of copper, with calves on the lower range and cows at 10 ppm. Less than this amount results in a primary copper deficiency. Primary copper deficiency occurs when the basal diet is low in copper.
This indicates if the animal has an intake to low or to high.

Secondary copper deficiency occurs when there is an interrelationship with other minerals, most commonly sulfur, molybdenum, and iron. Diet and water sources high in S or Mo can interfere with copper uptake.
"intake" in this writing means "absorption" or the lack there of.
Bruce Anderson, DVM., Ph.D., and professor at University of Idaho's Caine Veterinary Teaching Center, says a number of factors can come together to produce a variety of problems. Copper deficiency can be primary (when intake of copper is inadequate) or secondary (when dietary intake is sufficient but other factors prevent utilization of copper in the body).
Again, secondary is lack of absorption.

Now, even with these facts, the reason I can't answer your question is, I don't know this animals primary and secondary intake history, from conception to present.
But you may be able to come up with your some theory of your own, as you do have some of her history for the period of time you have owned her and you know environmental conditions and your management practices.

By environment conditions I mean are you in a low copper and/or a high sulfur area.
By management practices I mean do you do any supplemental feeding and/or do you fertilize.

All of the above, and more can be found by googling : cattle, copper deficiency.
From there if you don't find a suitable answer, we can discuss some the ( unproven, not fact ) theories that are out there and are now under scrutiny.
Liz

Latest posts